ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need recommended site for online data storage with ftp capability

<< < (2/3) > >>

jdd:
My experience is that it takes forever to upload files of any substantial size using a cable Internet or dsl connection, which is what I have.  How can you do that effectively without FTP?  Am I missing something here?

40hz:
What's the average type and size file that makes up your collection?

I'm guessing it's tons of relatively small files?

parkint:
My hosting account with Dreamhost includes the capability to backup ANYTHING I want and access it with FTP or SCP.
Here is their description of the service they offer:

You do, however, get one user per account where anything legal may be stored; your Backups User.

This user cannot have any websites pointed to it, nor may you share files via it... it is only to be used as an off-site backup for your personal files.
As such, we keep no backups of files on this account. These are already supposed to be your backups... not your only copy!
(Of course, you should always keep your own copies of all data stored with us.. we make no guarantees!)

Every full DreamHost Hosting plan includes 50GB of backups space!
(Additional usage will be charged at the rate of 10 cents / GB a month: the best backup deal on the net!)

You may access your backup user via ftp, sftp, scp, and rsync!

HTH

MilesAhead:
A backup site with the proviso that it doesn't back up your files?  Sounds like an attorney that doesn't give legal advice.

wraith808:
A backup site with the proviso that it doesn't back up your files?  Sounds like an attorney that doesn't give legal advice.

-MilesAhead (May 15, 2010, 01:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really.  Most backup sites only give you the space for one copy- they don't give you 100GB instead of 50GB... it's a space to put your backups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version