ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: TaskDaddy Release

<< < (5/17) > >>

daddydave:
Updated Post #1 with download link. Screenshots broke (I think because I initially used the url tag instead of the attachurl tag) and fixed again. Thanks to Perry for assistance.

So if you were trying to follow and the screenshots didn't make sense, try it again now before I break them again! :D

daddydave:
Updated Post #1 with a very minor release, Segoe UI font is no longer required, so on Outlook 2003 on Windows XP, the UI should default to Tahoma font.

I removed the old release because I wanted to establish a naming convention for the zip files, in the future I will probably keep old releases in the post in case the new one breaks something.

daddydave:
The icon, well, I may well need to ask for help eventually, I may try to whip something up in IcoFX which I really like, even though I don't have any artistic talent. I'll let you know how that goes, LOL.

In other news, I decided to use TaskDaddy as a light bug tracker, so I created a shortcut called Bug.lnk, which I launch from Launchy, which is a shortcut to

--- ---TaskDaddy.exe /p "@TD "
This brings up the TaskDaddy GUI with the bug category TD already there. Notice the extra space after the TD within the quotes which puts the cursor ahead a space so I can immediately type the task.  So this is kind of a way to use TaskDaddy shortcuts as templates for similar tasks you want to put in Outlook, because I could have also included part of the task with in the quotes like this: "@@Errand Go shopping for " so you can create a shopping task just by launching the shortcut, typing in the name of what you want, and pressing enter.

By the way, the only difference between @Category and @@Category  is whether your preference is for the category to be "Category" or "@Category". The GTD folks (with whom I have no affiliation) tend to suggest the @ symbol to make the put GTD categories ahead alphabetically and to help identify them as GTD categories. I have read David Allen's Getting Things Done book but am struggling to implement it. Mr. Allen is keen on writing every task down, and breaking down TODO's into many small next actions. Although I don't describe TaskDaddy as a GTD tool, it often seems to me that non-GTDers don't use tasks at all, or at least use them very sparingly.

Anyway it's a huge relief to have an executable posted now, I think I will take a break for at least a week and then work on the automated tester some more.

daddydave:
Contrary to what I said in the Known Issues above, TaskDaddy handles double quotes within a task name fine. From the GUI (input box) mode, there's no issue at all. The only time there's an issue is when you want to put the task on the command line, something you might do if you are creating a shortcut to create a specific task, or if you are creating a task from a batch file. The syntax in that case is somewhat tricky. You can't just say

--- ---TaskDaddy.exe @Parrot Say "Polly wants a cracker"because all the double quotes do in that case is make "Polly wants a cracker" a single parameter, which means TaskDaddy never sees the double quotes. You won't see quotes in the task, it is as if you said TaskDaddy.exe @Parrot Say Polly wants a cracker. Instead put all parameters except for options such as /p inside quotes, and inside those double quotes, use double double quotes like this:

--- ---TaskDaddy.exe "@Parrot Say ""Polly wants a cracker"""
The version using /p looks like this:

--- ---TaskDaddy.exe "@Parrot Say ""Polly wants a cracker""" /p

daddydave:
Thinking about what killer feature does TaskDaddy need that it currently is missing..you may see a poll soon. Any other nominees?

Missing features...
- support recurring tasks
- support more built-in task fields
- support custom task fields
- support merging a command line with tasks from a file, e.g., taskdaddy "@@Errand Buy _ from Wal-mart" -f groceries.txt
- support for Thunderbird Lightning
- a companion program CalendarDaddy
- a pop-up notification confirming the task has been added to Outlook
- ability to customize reminder time
- ability to mark a task as complete
- support user friendly dates such as #tomorrow or #+3 (for three days from now)
- support spaces in categories

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version