ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Email change notification solution?

<< < (2/2)

nogojoe:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/BCC

this link will give some idea of Thunderbirds limitations as to group  messaging

The main thing is to test with just a few email addresses to my tip to you is to include your own mail address in with the BCC  that will ensure that you can see if you are doing things right.
my example in the previous should work

Gwen7:
be careful of the number of addresses in your BCC line. many mail servers will think it's spam if there are too many. it could also put you at risk of being blacklisted.

the actual threshold will vary depending on the server. my company automatically dumps any message originating outside our domain that has more than five BCCs or thirty CCs. the thirty CC limit was chosen because it's twice as large as the number of people in our largest department. this allows our management key vendors to use departmental distribution lists without us having to deal with all the joke lists and chain letters we used to get.  it will also internally blacklist an address if it happens more than five times within a 48 hour period. keep hammering us after that and we'll bitch to your ISP too!

good luck getting word of your new address out to your friends.  

bye! :)

40hz:
Don't know how big your list is...but if it's huge and you're allowed to directly send SMTP (which you may) or you have access to an SMTP server (which you do) you can always use a direct "bulk mail" app or script.

Compose your announcement. Then just send it to everyone on your list. Each message will go out as a separate email so you won't need to muck about with CC and BCC workarounds.

Bulk-mailer apps were popular during the heyday of email newsletters. They've gone out of vogue (largely because most ISPs stopped allowing them) but they're still around.

I was a big fan of G-Lock EasyMail. They still offer a free version for download if you want to check it out. The free edition only allows you one mailing group - but it does allow you to import a list - so it's no big deal to send out to one group, change the message, import a different group list, and repeat as needed.

Link: http://www.glockeasymail.com/downloads/

kartal:
thanks for all the great suggestions. I now have a lot of ideas to try

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version