ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Instruction manual creation recommendations?

<< < (6/10) > >>

PPLandry:
what I've noticed in these wiki collaboration software is that the documents quickly become a format mess.
-Armando (May 11, 2010, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think superboyac doesn't need the collaborative aspects of these online wikis and all allow you to disable it, leaving only the public (or by invitation) viewing of the content

Armando:
what I've noticed in these wiki collaboration software is that the documents quickly become a format mess.
-Armando (May 11, 2010, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think superboyac doesn't need the collaborative aspects of these online wikis and all allow you to disable it, leaving only the public (or by invitation) viewing of the content

-PPLandry (May 11, 2010, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes I noticed he said that. But I didn't get that your idea was to make the documents available for viewing online. Is it possible to import Word documents in these wikis ?

[Edit : what I meant about the format mess is that wiki solutions I've looked at are nowhere near MS Word in terms of styling capabilities. With Word you can actually select a bunch of headlines and change them all at once, view your outline separatly as in a 2 pane outline, move the outline around, assign styles to shortcut keys,  etc. I don't know any wiki able to manage formatting and style that powerfully. But I don't know all of them]

Armando:
I used a software called Chapter by Chapter to bring together many Word documents, without having to use MS Word's Master Documents. I never used it much but it coud be an option to look at.

superboyac:
I used a software called Chapter by Chapter to bring together many Word documents, without having to use MS Word's Master Documents. I never used it much but it coud be an option to look at.
-Armando (May 11, 2010, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't know about either of these.  It sounds like chapter by chapter may be exactly what I'm looking for.  many thanks, Armando.

superboyac:
Armando, I also just read your long post about styles on the previous page.  Thank you.  That is good advice, and I'll be trying it out with this project.

I just spoke with our organization's top guy about this, and it's pretty serious.  I need to get this done.  They don't care about what I'm doing with the technology, but politically speaking, the heat is on.  As far as the technology, I want to make sure i don't corner myself by not organizing it well, or by not keeping track of changes made, or committing to a style and finding out that the managers want something else and having that become a big headache.  I have to do this the right way.  Maximum efficiency, as much "undo" capabilities as possible, integrated/linked solutions for page numbering, sections, TOC, etc.

All that has been done so far is very basic Word editing.  And the content is all there already.  So I'm stuck with something that is almost already complete.  Ideally, I'm looking for tools and/or methods that will allow me to do as much batch editing and modifying as possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version