ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

My new pet project : makes flash games more like desktop games

<< < (10/15) > >>

Deozaan:
Do you know some flash games that would works that way ? Exploration games, like 'Universe' could benefit from that, but I don't know of any games that play that way.-ecaradec (May 22, 2010, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't play a lot of Flash games, so I don't know of any specific ones that don't scale besides Final-Ninja, and a few experiments I did in Flash where a larger screen meant more stuff to show.

For example, here's a game I made a few years ago: Deozone

If you resize your browser window, the game will dynamically adjust to give you more (or less) space in which to see things.

phitsc:
I don't play flash games. But I'll definitely read your blog. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Being a programmer myself, I don't have a problem with paying for software that is useful, be that with money or some other kind of "contribution". I'm sure you put a lot of effort and much of your free time into that project, so why not ask for something in return.

I wish you good luck with it anyway! :Thmbsup:

ecaradec:
I think that programmers are more likely to pay for software as they know that's a lot of work (some of them at least ) . Non programmer see programming as putting a button here and there. Actually I understand that as there is not a lot more to see than buttons and windows...

I had a discussion on kongregate forum there : http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/670?page=3 , I had to give free version to flash developers so that people stop arguing about the price and try it (I think that's fair anyway - good flash games support swiffout in a way ) ... It seems that many people don't even want to try something not free (may be the fear to like it and have to pay ? ).

mouser:
Swiffout isn't just for games.. it works wonderfully for flash display sites like weather radar.  I used it on a site hamradio showed me which has excellent weather radar maps: http://www.intellicast.com

:up: :up: :up:

steeladept:
It seems that many people don't even want to try something not free (may be the fear to like it and have to pay ? ).
-ecaradec (May 28, 2010, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
That is, no doubt, because of the way development companies have treated the end user in the past.  "Try before you buy, because we offer no refunds".  I don't like to pay for something sight unseen without the option to get my money back.  That might be the best thing in existence, or it might be a great waste of money.  Experience has said that 99 times out of 100, it is the latter.  So even cheap offerings without a trial or moneyback guarantee is not worth trying for most people (myself included).  I want to see it, touch it, maybe use it before I buy it unless I know I can return it (and sometimes even if I can return it) regardless of the type of product it is.

As to your judgment of what $5 USD equates to - I have found one of the best methods of judging value of currency is what I call the McDonald's method.  McDonald's can be found in most countries around the world, and they have similar (though not exactly the same) menu's in each of them.  While you can see an exchange rate, you don't always know what the value is.  For example, if 3 Euro = 5 USD, that is the exchange rate, but 30 Euros may or may not buy a pair of jeans that $50 USD would.  However, food value (not price) stays fairly constant since it is needed everywhere (this is why my McDonald's method works so well).  My exchange rate of 3 Euro = $5 USD doesn't change, but when you realize a regular McDonald's combo meal averages $5 USD, whereas it is closer to 5 Euro, you realize it is closer to 1 to 1 in real terms.  Sure, 1 Euro is worth more than $1 on the exchange market, but after taxes, cost of living, etc., living on 300 Euro is closer to living on $300 USD instead of $500 USD (assuming these numbers were real - they are not nor were they intended to be).  So using this method - I can only tell you that $6 is the average price of a McDonald's combo meal in my neighborhood.  I have heard it is over $10 USD in New York City and as low as $5 USD in some parts of the country if that gives you any feel whatsoever for the value of $5 in the US.  Do note one point, however, I am taking a basket of product offerings and averaging them.  This is necessary to mitigate any special values or premiums on any given offer in a given area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version