ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need some input on CMS for a kinda, sorta webby ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

JavaJones:
Hey, SnippetMaster looks brilliant! I've been looking for something like this. Thanks for the link Bill. :)

- Oshyan

kwacky1:
I put in a second, highly recommended, vote for ModX, even on IIS.

I haven't looked a Silverstripe in a couple of years but when I was doing my CMS evaluation back then, ModX had a larger community.

40hz:
(i usually stop at "horror, what is that for a templating system" when i look at any cms)
-iphigenie (May 08, 2010, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 :Thmbsup:

Despite my fascination with CMS systems in general, I still pretty much "hand code" all my web pages and style sheets. Maybe it's because I don't do "news" type sites that are changing on an hourly basis - so I have the luxury of not having to rush to get my content up on the web.

I will, however, 'snap in' a blog or forum package if the site calls for one. (I'm not a complete masochist.  :mrgreen:) But for the landing and static pages, I still can't find anything that does exactly what I want enough of the time to lock into a full CMS solution.

Thankfully, I've done this long enough that I have pretty much perfected a workflow, file naming, and directory convention that works for me and my personal projects.

In a way, I'm very glad I did my first websites long before Dreamweaver and FrontPage were released. Learned an awful lot doing it by hand.

Fortunately, for those folks who do update early and often, there's always the CMS option.

8)

---

Also +1 on WebSiteBaker. That's the one that seems to offer the most flexibility.

JavaJones:
I don't see CMSs as a necessity for me but for clients and friends they're a must. That's where a lot of my interest lies. Unfortunately that can make it more difficult to evaluate them because the needs are diverse and I don't know them in full until I ask someone to check out a product. But that just adds to the fun, right? ;)

- Oshyan

40hz:
^Absolutely! :Thmbsup:

The only thing that keeps half of us in this field is the fact it really is fun. It's even fun in those situations where it isn't.

How many things can you say that about? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version