ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

could two numeric keypads work at the same time

(1/17) > >>

nudone:
i'm using a logitech g11 keyboard at the moment - i wanted the extra programmable keys down the left hand side - but now i'm beginning to hate it as it encroaches on my mouse area.

so, i'm considering getting a keyboard without numeric keys down the right hand side - plus a separate numeric keypad i can place at the left of the keyboard (out of the way of the mouse).

it looks like i can get all of my programmable key functions back by using autohotkey - probably a lot more than what i currently have.

what i'm wondering, though, is this: could a second numeric keypad be used whilst the 1st is still connected - the 2nd using programmable keys unique to itself.

the idea is that one keypad would have numlock on and the other numlock off - can these two states exist at the same time?

i know it's a long shot (and dumb) but it would be the cheapest method, by far, for getting an extra programmable keyboard into the system.

or has anyone a better idea for adding extra keys that doesn't cost a premium price?

skwire:
You would almost certainly have to use the HID stuff to make something like this work:  http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic41397.html

nudone:
marvellous. at least, it wasn't a completely insane idea. i may try getting a numeric keypad first and testing everything out. if that doesn't work then i know to start thinking of other solutions.

thanks for that info. i never expected it to look so feasible.

nudone:
looks like this product will do what i want: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programmable-keypad-black-pass-thru/dp/B000V5IFBK/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272864704&sr=8-19

The KBC 3700B Cherry keypad is ideal for people who need an additional keypad added to their system.The unit incorporates a female PS/2 port at the rear, allowing both the keypad and a PS/2 keyboard to be plugged into the computers PS/2 keyboard port at the same time.The unit also boasts 4 re-legendable, freely programmable keys and all the other keys can also be reprogrammed, or left as standard keypad keys.No drivers needed. No setting up required.Programing - Hold down [Numlock] and the key you want to program, release and type what you want the key to output, then press [numlock].Reset - Hold down [Numlock], [-] and [Enter].
--- End quote ---

i think i will still get a basic/cheap numeric keypad first to see if that can be made to work alongside my current onboard numeric keys.

nudone:
just thought of another possible solution (which i can't try until i get back to my main pc). i could plug another usb keyboard in to the machine whilst also keeping the current logitech keyboard plugged in.

with a bit of luck i can fit both on the desk at the same time and just use the programmable keys on the logitech and use the standard keys from the smaller keyboard.

if that works, i'll consider remapping the whole set of keys on the logitech using the method skwire mentioned above.

now that would be amazing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version