ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The conflict of interest that is Google

<< < (21/27) > >>

rxantos:
Maybe you can all try BING (Because Is Not Google) :)

Seriously, any business will seek to make a profit (thats the way they pay bills and employees). And the pressure is more on coporations (as they need to show profit to shareholders).  Thus any company will have a conflict of interest, but, as long as there are alternatives,  I do no think there is anything to worry about.

J-Mac:
Maybe you can all try BING (Because Is Not Google) :)

Seriously, any business will seek to make a profit (thats the way they pay bills and employees). And the pressure is more on coporations (as they need to show profit to shareholders).  Thus any company will have a conflict of interest, but, as long as there are alternatives,  I do no think there is anything to worry about.

-rxantos (November 23, 2010, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do jump around now to a few different search engines, including Bing. Though my results at Bing are often lacking even more than Google's results lately. I don’t know - the better I get at narrowing down my search terms the worse the results are sometimes. It seems that almost any time I try searching for information about a product - reviews, test results, any info that will help me to make a decision about purchasing - the first couple hundred results are all sites trying to sell the product, not information. It used to be a lot easier to find the info you were looking to find. I'm not certain exactly when it started breaking down but it feels like it was about three to four years ago.

Thank you.

Jim

mouser:
Interesting reading.. We are definitely entering a confusing twilight zone phase here..

For about six months, I've pondered writing this post asking the dreaded Google question. Following yesterday's announcement that the European Union has opened a Google antitrust investigation, I can wait no longer. My life, and perhaps yours, is enmeshed in Google products and services. If there is a devil, a Great Satan of modern technology companies, Google is it. I sold my soul to Google for free services, which are disrupting -- some would say destroying -- businesses that produce valuable content and other intellectual property. In the 1970s, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates warned of the very problem Google is creating today: Making things that are inherently valuable nearly worthless.

The problem is simple: Google's business model is fundamentally about free. Someone else pays to produce content or other valuable intellectual property, around which Google wraps search keywords, adverts and services. The information giant doesn't produce content, but its entire business model is about cannibalizing others' valuable intellectual property.... content creators are compelled to give away their stuff for less and often for free. If not, the content becomes invisible to the Internet -- or at least to the majority of people who use Google search and other services.

--- End quote ---

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/I-sold-my-soul-to-Google-can-I-get-it-back/1291225210

Bamse:
Time to remind your self that only about 30% of world population has access to internet. So 70% are free and happy. Not more twisting argument than he does :) How old is he?

kyrathaba:
No doubt about it, Google needs to change their practices.  Only problem is, they're hard-wired into their current cannabalistic business practice.  No real way for them to get out of it gracefully, or even economically intact, that I can see ... even if they wanted to...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version