ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The conflict of interest that is Google

<< < (9/27) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
BTW, as I recently have read something about "20 years of WWW":
The WWW (Google's reason to exist) was developed on a NeXT. So, maybe, we shall blame Apple?
-Tuxman (November 12, 2010, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Naw, I think if there is anyone to blame, it is ourselves.  And I quote, "
I am persuaded the only reason bad men have succeeded is not because good men have done nothing, but that good men did not do enough."

CodeTRUCKER:
+1 CodeTRUCKER.
Penrose presents the argument that human consciousness is non-algorithmic, and thus is not capable of being modeled by a conventional Turing machine-type of digital computer.
--- End quote ---

Well, let's just assume that human's are just very good at switching logical systems, and that's their core logical system. Problem solved. :)
-Renegade (November 12, 2010, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey Man, you've outlined my next week's study outline.  ;D

The funny thing is I was pondering the subject of "logic" just yesterday and today [Cue Twilight Zone theme].  After some cogitation on the issue, I was struck that "logic" was illogical.  :o  Unfortunately, my post would be about twice the length of your missive, so I will try to distill it and get back to you.  In the meantime, here is a smattering...

If...
A = B
and
B = C
then
A = C
... see anything wrong with this?

Maybe I'm not seeing everything (the emperor's new clothes, perhaps), but it seems ludicrous to me (and the man who originally brought this to my attention).  It says nothing!  The "then" is already contained in the equation.  Nothing new is learned, nor proven at all.  At best, it is redundant.

Anyway, thanks for a substantive reply.

KynloStephen66515:
@complearning123

Please refrain from double/tripple posting in the future  :D

Renegade:
If...
A = B
and
B = C
then
A = C
... see anything wrong with this?

Maybe I'm not seeing everything (the emperor's new clothes, perhaps), but it seems ludicrous to me (and the man who originally brought this to my attention).  It says nothing!  The "then" is already contained in the equation.  Nothing new is learned, nor proven at all.  At best, it is redundant.
-CodeTRUCKER (November 12, 2010, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it is informative in a way. It's a definition in a logical system. That is, it is trivial.

Now, I'm not really sure what you're finding ludicrous, but if you're finding it ludicrous in the "common sense" way, then I'd have to say you're right. A = C does not follow. Here's an example of what I mean:

(A) I am (B) white.
(B) White is (C) a color.
(A) I am (C) a color.

For those programmers among us, this is obvious in another context: value vs. reference.

e.g.

int a = 1;
int b = 1;
int c = 1;

Now, this is true:

a == b

So is this:

b == c;

So is this:

a == c;

But that's a value comparison. But if we are talking about references, a is not b is not c is not a.

Here's a simple example (really for others reading):

--- Code: C# ---int a = 1;int b = 1;int c = 1; textBox1.Text += "a==b is " + (a == b).ToString() + "\r\n";textBox1.Text += "b==c is " + (b == c).ToString() + "\r\n";textBox1.Text += "c==a is " + (c == a).ToString() + "\r\n"; Form x = new Form();Form y = new Form();Form z = new Form(); textBox1.Text += "x.Equals(y) is " + (x.Equals(y)).ToString() + "\r\n";textBox1.Text += "y==z is " + (y == z ).ToString() + "\r\n";
Which yields this result:

a==b is True
b==c is True
c==a is True
x.Equals(y) is False
y==z is False

a, b, and c are all value based, where x, y, and z are all reference based. Again, different systems apply to different things.

Anyways, I do tend to get carried away with logic. It's just so much fun~! :D

tomos:
Please refrain from double/tripple posting in the future  :D
-Stephen66515 (November 12, 2010, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

totally off-topic: I've started doing that lately too* - it can make for cleaner/clearer read for others imo.
Same with email (especially work but even with private), I now stick to one subject (with an appropriate subject line of course!)

* not trying to boost my post count, I swear!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version