ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo repair/replace tcpip.sys ?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Curt:
-oh yes, I forgot to answer StoicJoker's post. Sorry! The reason of course being that I have no idea what either of you guys are talking about!  "NIC"... = "network interface card"?? Hardware, software? Inboard, outboard?

To update drivers is nothing that I enjoy. My Driver Magician 3.45 may be good, I don't know, but it is not all-knowing enough for me to merely mark every driver and Go. Would drivers class "Network Adapters" be a natural place to begin?

Stoic Joker:
@40hz - I think we just found the answer... ;)

@Curt - I'm generally not a fan of the automated driver "Wizards" but if you're comfortable with it that's okay.

Yes, Network Adapters is a good place to start, Just make sure you're updating the right adapter - some machines have more than one (laptops), and sometimes FireWire can/will show up as a "Network" Adapter (Damn-If-I-Know-Why) ... so ignore anything with 1394 in it.

Also, not sure if it wasn't mentioned, or I missed it, but is this a desktop, laptop, Off-The-Shelf branded, or white box machine? Is the NIC built into the MotherBoard (e.g. OnBoard) or a PCI add-in card?

Innuendo:
I'm 99% positive it's a device driver causing the problem. If your NIC and modem drivers are up to date then also check your devices and see if there's an address or interrupt conflict.
-40hz (May 14, 2010, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which goes back to my original diagnosis that tcpip.sys almost never the culprit even if the blue screen specifically mentions it. The problem can almost always be traced back to something trying to access tcpip.sys in an inappropriate manner.

@Curt - Go to Device Manager and see what it says under Network Adapters. The brand/chipset name of the driver and the version # it's using is always the easist place to look.

(Early Realtek network drivers were gawd-awful & caused crashes like the one you're having all the time.)

Curt:
thanks a lot for all the inputs.  

The problems went away when I removed Outpost and installed Online Armor++   I hope!

However, when I think back on the various blue screens, or more correctly when I think at what happened the seconds before the blue screens, I think I remember that at least 3 out of 4 times, I was just about to enter some homepage. Well, today I was changing the settings inside AnVir Task Manager Pro, and the following words that I never read or understood before  suddenly made new sense to me:

This will explain why Outpost was able to cause problems; it was checking all traffic and each and every homepage I was visiting. AnVir knew all along that such a feature can cause errors! Now you and I can finally know it, too.

--------
Edited:
TEST: Can ABBYY Screenshot Reader tell the text from my picture?:
Enable Internet traffic monitoring. (May cause errors in network driver tcpip.sys).-ABBYY paste
--- End quote ---
Yes!

daddydave:
Well, today I was changing the settings inside AnVir Task Manager Pro, and the following words that I never read or understood before  suddenly made new sense to me:
 (see attachment in previous post)
This will explain why Outpost was able to cause problems; it was checking all traffic and each and every homepage I was visiting. AnVir knew all along that such a feature can cause errors!
-Curt (May 19, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wow. Thanks for the update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version