ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo repair/replace tcpip.sys ?

(1/9) > >>

Curt:
I am sick and tired of all the blue screens I have been getting for that last quarter of a year due to my version of tcpip.sys. So naturally I want to repair or replace the thing. The first problem is that I don't have an installation-CD, so I will be needing a copy of "your" file, please! 32-bits Vista.  :)

Another problem is of course that I don't know how to do it.

As far as I can understand, I will further more also need to replace/overwrite some kind of a copy in some "DLL-cache"? The post saying so was about XP; the given address for the DLL-cache does not exist on my Vista.

I need help on this, please.
I am using Outpost Security Suite.

Hidden system file on Vista @ C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys

mwb1100:
I don't think it's a good idea generally to try to replace a core driver like tcpip.sys on your own - it should be updated as part of an update package or Service Pack.

If you look at this list of versions of tcpip.sys:

- http://www.mskbfiles.com/tcpip.sys.php

you'll see that there are many versions that have been released after the one you have (6.0.6001.18377). Note that the ones with a version starting 6.1 are for Windows 7.  I think that the ones starting with 6.0.6002 are for SP2 or updates to SP2.  So if you're still on SP1 and don't want to move to SP2, you might want to look at the hotfix for KB979223 which has a very recent SP1 version of tcpip.sys (6.0.6001.22659):

- http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=979223&kbln=en-us

Note that it's a hotfix, which is not as well supported/tested by Microsoft as service packs or updates that get pushed down with Windows Update.  So before trying the hotfix, you might want to make sure you have all available updates from Windows Update, or you might want to consider installing SP2.

Dirhael:
You could also try running the following command in a console as admin: sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys

It'll check the integrity of the file and repair if needed.

Curt:
"sfc": "no errors"

Thanks anyway.

Yesterday I updated Vista, so I'll wait and see if is feeling any better now.

Innuendo:
I am sick and tired of all the blue screens I have been getting for that last quarter of a year due to my version of tcpip.sys. So naturally I want to repair or replace the thing. The first problem is that I don't have an installation-CD, so I will be needing a copy of "your" file, please! 32-bits Vista.  :) -Curt (May 01, 2010, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. I haven't heard of anyone having to replace tcpip.sys since Windows 95. Usually if you are someone who gets errors like that it can be traced back to bad network card drivers that happen to bomb out and take out tcpip.sys with them & that's what the blue screen shows.

What kind of network card are you running over there, Curt? Some network chipsets have gawd-awful drivers.

In any case, to change a system file like that you would have to do it from Safe Mode & replace both the version in the Windows directory & in the cache before rebooting back into normal mode. But again....no one has had to do this since Windows 95 and the early days of Windows 98 First Edition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version