ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ergonomic mouse and keyboard

<< < (2/5) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Pain in the wrist sounds like an incorrect angle in the joint to me ... not that I'm an expert tho'. But as nudone says, checking your relative heights is a good idea:
this is probably too simple a solution but it's something i encountered just this week...

i raised my office chair about 3 inches a few days ago - within an hour my wrists where aching (which they never do normally). i ignored this for a day or two and in the end decided to lower the chair again as it was just too painful on the wrists.
-nudone (April 29, 2010, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

My problems were different, they were more located in the shoulders because:

* shoulder extension issues with the mouse too far from my centre
* hunching because my hands were not spread enoughI wrote very briefly here about the set-up (which reminds me I should update it because it's been very good and completely solved my pain issues  :))

nudone:
I wrote very briefly here about the set-up (which reminds me I should update it because it's been very good and completely solved my pain issues  :))
-Perry Mowbray (April 30, 2010, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
interesting. i like the keyboard - very much. i'm wondering whether to get one. i'm not suffering any wrist ache but that keyboard looks like one of, if not the most, sensible designs ever.

slight off topic:
i wonder how many people (around the world using computers) actually need the number keys on the right-hand-side. i mean, really need them - like everyday. that number key area is taking up mouse movement space - something that nearly all right-handed mouse users could use if a lump of plastic wasn't in the way.

remove the numberpad area and you can position your keyboard better (more room on the right) whilst also giving your mouse more room to travel AND thereby placing the mouse closer - so less reach is involved.

it all seems so obvious - make the numberpad its own little lump of plastic - position where you like. you could even stick it in the way of your mouse and relive the pointless lack of space you had before.

so, i want a keyboard without a numberpad (or with a separate pad). the reason i don't rush out and buy something is because my current keyboard (Logitech G11) has a set of extra keys (18 x 3) down the left-hand-side which are programmable - i like that - i use that.

it's the 21st century and the standard keyboard is something designed by someone that obviously didn't understand the importance of a mouse.

we should have split keyboards by now - with extra programmable keys (on their own pad), numberpad keys (on their own pad), and the main keys split in the middle so you can position them under your hands - AND all out of the way of the mouse.

i know all these will be available somewhere - but at a premium cost.

it's dumb.

i need to go and calm down now...

Perry Mowbray:
Everyone makes the same joke when they see my keyboard: "why did you break you keyboard?". But I've never looked back, the pain in my back disappeared almost overnight (I didn't have any wrist pain, and I don't think spreading your hands would help with wrist pain anyway).

I very nearly bought the http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage_pro.htm, but was worried about the lack of movement of my arms. And I definitely had already decided on the rollermouse (to stop the right-shoulder pain). It was pretty comfy when I tried it out though (and it has heaps of geek appeal  ;))

I miss the dedicated number pad though. I'm not too bad touch typing the numbers, but for spreadsheets I liked to use the numberpad. I have wondered about getting a separate one and putting in between the split keyboard...

But I did also like the http://www.typematrix.com/ keyboard too, but it didn't give me enough hand spread.

Recently I've been wondering about the bamboo tablet and placing it between the split keyboard  :-\... but my existing set-up is hard to beat at the moment for comfort.

And functionality wise, it's amazing how functional it is to use your thumbs to move the cursor... ends up just like the space bar on the keyboard.

nudone:
hmm, sticking a numberpad in the middle of your keyboard(s) sounds like a good solution.

i quite like the look of the TypeMatrix keyboard. i've also found this one, the "mouse friendly" keyboard (i've also seen a few left-handed keyboards now, which is what this is under another name): http://www.evoluent.com/kb1.html

still premium prices. if i could saw my keyboard in two - so the numberpad was gone i'd do it. maybe i should look into it.

Perry Mowbray:
if i could saw my keyboard in two - so the numberpad was gone i'd do it. maybe i should look into it.
-nudone (April 30, 2010, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D  That's what everyone thinks that I've done to mine!!

i quite like the look of the TypeMatrix keyboard. i've also found this one, the "mouse friendly" keyboard (i've also seen a few left-handed keyboards now, which is what this is under another name): http://www.evoluent.com/kb1.html
-nudone (April 30, 2010, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes: that looks good too.

It all depends on where you are getting pain / discomfort / etc.

I do this little demonstration at work all the time with people who ask...

* I stand facing the person and tell them to hold their hands out in front of themselves as if on a keyboard: ie close together.
* Then I say to concentrate on their shoulders
* Then move their hands apart so they are in line with their shoulders
* Repeat
Generally everyone is amazed that their shoulders relax with their hands spread.

I also do this one...

* Hold your hand out horizontally in front of you
* Turn your hand 90 degrees so that it's vertical
* Repeat
Your hand generally feels more comfortable in a more vertical position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version