topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 5:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What are your favorite keyboard customizations?  (Read 3236 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What are your favorite keyboard customizations?
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I have a brand new Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 which is very customizable via the Intellitype software.

I have set up the Zoom Slider so that it acts as a scroller instead of zoomer (google for details). I think you could also use it as a volume control.

I have the key with a "Home" icon set so that it sends a Win-Shift-S to toggle between "show all" and "hide all" in Zhorn Software'e excellent Stickies. Before I did that, I was closing them, having to fish them out of the Stickies manager and then having to reposition them; or sleeping them, which kept creating duplicates; or I would roll them up, which can be done by double clicking the title, but they were still getting in the way. And Win-Shift-S a bit of a pain to enter. My repurposed Home key works perfectly, and I can't imagine opening up a web browser that way.

So what are your own favorite custom keyboard tricks for whatever keyboard you use? Maybe I can get some ideas.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What are your favorite keyboard customizations?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I use the vim editor every day; so I often need to press ESC. I have swapped ESC and CapsLock since I never need CapsLock anyway.

Then I use Win+j/k to cycle input focus among the application windows on a virtual desktop; Win+<left>/<right> cycle through my virtual desktops, adding Shift will move the active window to the next/previous desktop. Win+Number will directly switch to that desktop.

In general I make very very heavy use of the keyboard shortcuts an application provides.

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What are your favorite keyboard customizations?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I just made the move from a full-sized keyboard to an Apple wireless keyboard. So, needless to say, I'm overloading many keys with shortcuts these days.

Mostly, I'm using bbkeys.dll, which comes with bblean, for a lot of stuff. Due to laziness, I'm relying on a mix of PStart (which has an excellent and easy-to-setup hotkey feature) and nircmd for easy app launching and some system control stuff.

It's a lot to go through, but it's a heck of a keyboard. I love the thing.

links (extremely lazy, i know)
http://gog.is/bblean
http://gog.is/pstart/menu
http://gog.is/nircmd