ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (3/26) > >>

wraith808:
I think the key in a focus group is to use it as you would any other device.

Stoic Joker:
It's way to (pathetically) easy to saddle up the moral high ground and vilify the engineer for having the phone at a bar, when the only really relevant point is (shit happens) the phone got lost. How (badly) who handled it afterward...on the other hand...Seems to be where the story goes sideways.

Stevie has spent way to much time playing the grand illustrious god of Apple World to really pay attention (or care) how the rest of the world normally works. 50 years ago, when the auto industry was king (of the tech pile) the same game was being played.

Fans craving more new info about what was to be next.
Tech mags jockied and fought for any glimmer under loose tarps.
Companies fought to keep their secrets...albeit only so hard.

...because they understood to keep the fans frothing, you have to give them something, every now and then.

Nobody got arrested - for crying out loud.

Today still the auto makers run new prototype cars in the same desert, and the same crowd of journalists are still pulling the same stunts (peaking under tarps & checking for unlocked trailer doors) trying to get a "Hot Story" pick of what might be.

And that's just the way the game is played for the rest of the known universe out here in the real world...

...But Apple is "Special" - Not in my book (unless you want to toss in the short bus...).

Apple had a screw up (IT HAPPENS) They should have just quickly & quietly spun it off into silence - but no! It just had to be viewed as an affront to his lordship ruler of all and be dealt with as an example maker to strike fear into anyone insolent enough to question the power and glory of the one true god Steve Jobs.

All I can say is they should have a really hard time getting press coverage for a damn thing from here out.

wraith808:
I don't have a problem with getting a story, as long as its by ethical means.  Bloggers want to make money from their work, and want to be considered as legitimate media outlets, but use paycheck journalism to get their stories and don't want to be held accountable for their actions.  Who can pay $5000 for a phone that they know is not the person's who they are paying, and think that's right?

Stoic Joker:
Every Law Enforcement Agency on the planet for starters.

Cash is a great incentive for getting people to part with thing, be they "stolen" property (a.k.a. evedence...) or information. And despite its infinitely more portable nature ... Information is indeed a big issue, especially when it goes "missing".

Remember, the phone itself was nothing more that $10 worth of crap anyone could buy at Radio Shack - The information contained in form they were assembled into is where the real value was held.

Renegade:
There seems to be a number of misunderstandings here in what happened. Let me clarify a few things first before I respond/rant.

In order:

* Apple engineer loses 4G iPhone - http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone
* Somebody finds iPhone
* The person tries to RETURN THE IPHONE TO APPLE
* Apple ignores all (several) attempts to return the phone
* Gizmodo gets phone for $5,000
* Gizmodo publishes story
* Apple changes mind - decides it wants iPhone back
* Apple lawyer contacts Gizmodo and demands phone back - http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back
* Gizmodo returns phone
* Apple decides to be vindictive and gets a search warrant for Jason Chen's house despite the fact that journalists are protected from such things
* Police kick in Jason's door and ransack his house, stealing a number of computers, storage devices, etc. http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers
It is APPLE that would not accept the iPhone back. So what's the problem? Gizmodo published a story and RETURNED THE PHONE WHEN ASKED FOR IT.

It was AFTER Gizmodo returned the phone that the police ransacked Jason's house.

Apple is despicable. They are a petty, vindictive, sinister, secretive, closed, greedy, back-stabbing, disgraceful and evil company.

Gizmodo did nothing wrong. The phone was never stolen. It was lost. It was also returned after the OWNER REFUSED TO TAKE IT BACK then changed their minds and SENT A LAWYER TO ASK FOR THE ***LOST*** PHONE BACK.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but Apple is despicable. They are a petty, vindictive, sinister, secretive, closed, greedy, back-stabbing, disgraceful and evil company.

The police raid on Jason Chen's home -- where the police bashed in his front door -- was illegal and motivated by nothing more than pure malice and spite on Apple's part, and everyone knows it. Journalists are protected as the Gizmodo legal counsel pointed out to the police.

Type "apple is" into Google and the autocomplete will show you "apple is an evil evil company" as the first option. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version