ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Discussion: How can we Improve DonationCoder?

<< < (3/18) > >>

TucknDar:
I like Gothi[c]'s suggestion!

Apart from that, and the lack of Angelina still shots, I don't really see anything that needs much work on DC. I guess I'd like to see a few more reviews/mini-reviews, but it's not like I can't write these myself... :-[

Stoic Joker:
@IainB: At last, the solution. I'm all four that!-cranioscopical (April 23, 2010, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a bit baffeled by the tatical 180 between this and Iainb's first post ... But, Yeah lets get this last Idea pushed through as quick as possible. Gia would be a good place to start.

CWuestefeld:
Let me make a comment as gently as possible, with the acknowledgment that I'm probably as guilty as anyone.

I haven't been using DC as much as I used to. I think at one point I would check for new posts every hour. Lately, I might check once at lunch, if that.

I think part of the reason may be that reading these posts has become less productive. The signal-to-noise content is much higher, in that so many discussions veer wildly off-topic into witty banter. The result at best is that I have to read more posts to get the same amount of information; at worst, the real content is never posted because we're wasting our time joking. I like joking in conversation probably more than most, but for a forum that's supposed have a technological focus, that focus is becoming blurred.

Perhaps worse, I fear potential new members are put off. I wonder if the banter makes the community seem closed. When the participants seem to know each other, engaging in conversation that reveals their familiarity, I wonder if it serves to make newbies feel like they're on the outside.

mouser:
maybe one way to address gothic's ideas and also help make things easier to find in general is to have a kind of wiki system incorporated into DC where trusted people could keep an organized set of pages updated that helped catalog stuff on the site and was a navigational aid.

40hz:
@mouser and/or Moderators:

Just out of curiosity, is this periodic QC and/or refocusing? Or was this discussion prompted by something like a rash of complaints, defections from the ranks, or a critical review?

Trying to get a sense of the context.  
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version