ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Here we go again with false positive antivirus actions bricking computers

<< < (2/6) > >>

bgd77:
I wonder if/how do they test their updates.

Just as with the BitDefender issue, this is something that would be trivially detected with even basic QA, which makes the regularity of such problems perplexing.
--- End quote ---

Does this mean they do not have QA? I can't believe this. I am pretty sure they lost a lot of customers/money because of this problems.

Does this issue appear on some particular XP SP3 configurations? Or it is a general issue?

lanux128:
one word - McAfee.. ::)

bgd77:
Ok, I understood. I thought it was more than that... In this case, shame on them.

40hz:
I haven't looked at McAfee since a time in the mid-90's when an overnight update brought two floors worth of PCs to their knees performance-wise - and the client decided it was all my fault because I originally spec'ed the systems.

And here I thought I was maybe carrying a grudge because I've considered McAfee To be undependable ever since.

J-Mac:
This is completely inexcusable. How can a supposedly major computer security software company, one that probably has more of its products pre-installed on systems world-wide than any other developer, possibly allow such a bug to be released to an unsuspecting public?

How can a virus definitions update that removes svchost.exe - a well-known vital Windows core system file - not realize it? Surely some testing would have been done by even the most careless developer!?!

This reinforces my resolve to never touch a McAfee product with someone else's hand, let alone mine!

This is why I have NOD32 configured to NEVER clean any suspected infection. I have all settings so that they quarantine and notify me. Never "clean", which simply means DELETE. These flaming idiots can't recognize a false positive? I'd like to say that I am not surprised, but this one surprises me. Damn!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version