ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Powerpoint sucks - what to use instead?

<< < (4/15) > >>

JavaJones:
Hmm, well, nothing is seeming like a particularly compelling alternative unfortunately (especially since we're a PC shop - I wouldn't relish trying to convert everyone to Mac just for Keynote :D).

Oh well. Thanks for all the input folks! :)

- Oshyan

superboyac:
JavaJones, consider using ProShow.
http://www.photodex.com/

It's an amazing slideshow making tool.  I happened across it by accident several years ago, and was blown away by it.  It's relatively easy to use.  Not super easy, but pretty easy.  The great thing is that the slideshows will end up coming out looking fantastic.  And you can export it in a variety of ways, i don't remember them all.  I always liked the stanalone exe files.

The point is, it's easy to use, you get professional looking results with the least amount of effort.  And there's a lot of power under the hood if you care to explore.

And you know what I've seen?  The program gives such great results that I've noticed that it makes people WANT to use it more. Give it a shot.

If you want a small example, I've provided a link below of a slideshow I made for two of my coworkers.  I make fun of them pretty good, and it was hilarious.  I had a couple of people in tears with this one.  This is all ProShow, it makes it so easy and fun to use:
http://aram.dcmembers.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/hooters-pola.exe

Carol Haynes:
Photodex is great for producing slideshows and video output (inc. DVD) but can you use it interactively or non-linearly?

superboyac:
Photodex is great for producing slideshows and video output (inc. DVD) but can you use it interactively or non-linearly?
-Carol Haynes (April 24, 2010, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, I don't think you can.  If you buy the more expensive version (Presenter) you can pause it in the middle of the slideshow.  But you can't skip around like in powerpoint.

Another option I've used often that works well, especially when trying to throw together a quick presentation is a PDF.  I make a pdf, save it so that it opens up in fullscreen mode, and flip through the pages as if they were slides.  I use bluebeam to mark them up if necessary.  In emergency situations, this works the fastest for me.  Good bang for your buck also, as far as quality vs. effort.

Carol Haynes:
I have Photodex presenter but I wouldn't see it as an easy replacement for Powerpoint.

PDF is an interesting idea - but it still doesn't really solve the issues of the original post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version