ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Powerpoint sucks - what to use instead?

<< < (6/15) > >>

tsaint:
An interesting relic from the past - way back in Opera 5.x times, they had a thing called "Operashow", aimed at using html markup and css to do presentations with Opera.
It might have been relevant to you, apart from the Opera lockin, but I think the idea was subsequently abandoned. Shame.
 Maybe someone with the knowhow could write a quasi html editor, which uses stylesheets, dhtml etc to produce slides for a browser.

Carol Haynes:
You could take a look at Prezi. I don't have any real experience of it; it is just sitting on my "Cool looking things to take a proper look at" list :)
-markan (April 26, 2010, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't tried creating a Prezi yet but it looks fantastic.

The best thing is that it is non-linear and also you can embed SWF, PDF  etc.

My first reaction was that an online tool is not ideal but you can download the prezi when finished and use a standalone player so you don't need to have an internet connection.

It isn't clear whether the desktop software is limited to the license period or whether that is just the length of hosting. It would be nioce to think if you sign up for the Pro version you get to keep the desktop app in perpetuity without the hosting package.

Curt:
it was my impression that you'll lose even the value of the desktop version, if you stop paying:

4) Prezi is sold as a service, which means you pay an annual fee. ... If in the future you decide to cancel your payments, you will not be able to create new or edit existing prezis, but ...
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
it was my impression that you'll lose even the value of the desktop version, if you stop paying:

4) Prezi is sold as a service, which means you pay an annual fee. ... If in the future you decide to cancel your payments, you will not be able to create new or edit existing prezis, but ...
--- End quote ---
-Curt (April 26, 2010, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Also best to be aware of:

By submitting User Content ... you hereby do and shall grant to Prezi (and its successors, assigns, and third party service providers) a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, and otherwise exploit the content on and in connection with the manufacture, sale, promotion, marketing and distribution of products sold on, or in association with, the Service, or for purposes of providing you with the Service and promoting the same, in any medium and by any means currently existing or yet to be devised.
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
JJ, you said to think out of the box, so here goes:

Back to my pdf idea.  I know it's not exactly great, but hear me out.  I've had to put together a lot of presentations in my job, and a lot of emergency ones at the last minute.  When push came to shove, I've used pdf and it has worked out pretty good.  Especially with a program like Bluebeam to streamline the workflow, I think it's a good idea.  The only thing that it wouldn't be so good for is doing some kind of batch editing to a bunch of pre-existing powerpoint slideshows that you already have.

I don't know, I don't have any good suggestions.  I'm interested if what you're looking for exists, because I can use it as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version