ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alternatives to AnVir Task Manager

<< < (2/3) > >>

alexey_r:
I've had freeze problems too ... and it does use resources ... it doesn't respond that well to ctnl-alt-del either
-hpearce (April 18, 2010, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
With AnVir or with WinPatrol Plus?

alexey_r:
After installing WinPatrol (not Plus yet): looks all right. The presentation for startup manager isn't as nice as with AnVir, but quite workable. Similarly, System Explorer (found at Gizmo's site) looks like a useful Task Manager replacement. My biggest dislike so far is that I can't get its information window to stick, which is occasionally useful.

Now, what can I do for the tray icons?

alexey_r:
Oh, and I do like that WinPatrol noticed a file associations change.

Shades:
For a more hands-on approach you could try the (latest) SysInternals Suite. All the tools in this collection are free, come from the Microsoft TechNet site and are lean, mean, clean and best of all...free.

The raw power behind these tools is amazing, if you put in (some) study time. It is not really a one-click solution, but you will find replacements for a lot of commercial software.

Responding to the original question:

* ProcessExplorer - a very good task manager alternative and part of the SysInternals Suite,
* ProcessHacker - a very able task manager, quire similar to ProcessExplorer and open source. Admittedly, the name is not so trust inspiring, but don't let that stop you from trying this one.

bgd77:
Both Process Explorer and Process Hacker are very good and can be configured to show cpu, memory and other things in system tray.
For managing startup programs, things are a little more complicated. I use CodeStuff, which is quite good and easy to play around, or Autoruns from SysInternals, which is for advanced users. Unfortunately, this programs do not monitor in real-time for applications that want to auto-start. For this I used Mike Lin's Startup Monitor: http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml but it does not work on my 64 bit Windows 7 (but, if I remember correctly, it worked on Vista 32 bit).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version