ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alternatives to AnVir Task Manager

(1/3) > >>

alexey_r:
My subscription to AnVir's updates has expired, and I decided to ask for alternatives before updating it.

Here is what I get from AnVir:

Process manager
Tray icons which show CPU and memory load
Startup manager (in particular, I really like being immediately notified and asked for permission when some stupid application decides to add itself to the startup)

What I don't like is that it sometimes freezes and takes quite a bit of resources when its main window is open (though not when it's minimized to the tray, happily).

What are good alternatives there, especially for managing startup programs?

cyberdiva:
Hi, Alexey.  I used AnVir Task Manager Pro for a while.  What I especially liked about it was the single icon I could put in the system tray that would monitor and offer information about both CPU and memory usage.  Every now and then I still use it for that purpose.  However, for startup management, I much prefer WinPatrol Plus.  It does what most good startup management programs do--tells you what's starting at startup, allows you to add, remove, or disable items or to arrange to have them start at delayed startup (to avoid conflicts with other programs).  It will warn you any time a program tries to insert itself into the startup menu, and helps you get rid of it.  It also provides some helpful information about each program, including advice about whether it's safe and whether you can safely remove it.  Unlike AnVir, WinPatrol gives information that is pretty reliable, unlike the rather flaky "security risk" assessments offered by AnVir.   Another nice thing about Win Patrol Plus is that you can use it on all your computers, and once you've bought the Plus version, ALL upgrades are free.  WinPatrol Plus is one of the first programs I install on any computer.

One other program you might want to take a look at is The Ultimate Troubleshooter.  I no longer use it--I don't recall why not, perhaps because I felt WinPatrol Plus was enough by itself.  But I liked The Ultimate Troubleshooter better than AnVir.

hpearce:
I've had freeze problems too ... and it does use resources ... it doesn't respond that well to ctnl-alt-del either

mwb1100:
Another nice thing about Win Patrol Plus is that you can use it on all your computers, and once you've bought the Plus version, ALL upgrades are free.
-cyberdiva (April 18, 2010, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

And it's half price at the moment (18 April 2010) on BDJ: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/winpatrol-plus/

Innuendo:
And it's half price at the moment (18 April 2010) on BDJ: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/winpatrol-plus/-mwb1100 (April 18, 2010, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Was just coming back in here to post that...it's definitely tempting @ $15 for a lifetime license.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version