ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Process Tamer speeds up my games & internet speed!

<< < (4/7) > >>

Shades:
I used to make batch scripts that enabled/disabled services for what I was about to do. Gaming? Disable a lot of services that are not required by the game in question. Done gaming? Enable the services again.

This has never lead me into any trouble other than finding out which service is required for a game. Most people seem to think that all services need to run all the time, which is not the case.

Spending a bit of time with the cli command 'sc' and use what you find in simple batch scripts (together with a little bit of common sense) gains you more speed than any of the snake-oil mentioned in this thread. The black viper webpage makes it easier to differentiate between not-so-essential and essential services.

What strikes me as strange is that people who find out about the Black Viper site, make changes and then call for help because something goes wrong. The site also shows what the default service setting should be in case something goes wrong. Can people not change back to the default state which is shown to them? More or less next to suggested change?

Sorry, but that kind of stupidity does hardly compute with me. Such things make me always think: 'User error, replace user and continue'

Then again, if persons like Innuendo and scancode can make an honest pay for repair, more power (and cold hard cash) to them ;)

wraith808:
hehehe i think this was a joke post of some sort.. it certainly is proving amusing :)
-mouser (April 17, 2010, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I don't really think it was a joke post.  And though the solutions may not be applicable, the way that this was pointed out didn't seem apropos of the whole DC community feel.  You can give information in a way that doesn't seem condescending- especially to someone that's new to the site.

To me your list of speedup software seems overly excessive. I suspect a lot of overlapping functionality within this set.

When you start a gaming session, would it not be smarter to disable (MS Windows and 3rth party) services and other background tasks (indexing for example) that are not essential for the game? Throwing in the famous car analogy...'nothing beats cubic inches'.

Go and look at sites like www.blackviper.com to see which services can be disabled. Besides spending some time this solution is free, unlike all those more or less 'snakeoil' type of software you mentioned.
-Shades (April 17, 2010, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

This seems like the way to point it out to someone that didn't know without making them feel defensive.  But that's just MHO...

ha14:
Try appbooster which has a free version and the pro is on sale with 40% discount.
http://www.appbooster.net/index.php/appbooster/

Iobit advanced system care has a game mode function that can help you in that aiml. Otherwise now security softs propose also gaiming edition. The best is to free ram and Uniture Memory Booster is a good one.
http://www.unituresoft.com/

cyberdiva:
Iobit advanced system care has a game mode function that can help you in that aiml.
-ha14 (April 18, 2010, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, after the discussion on the Malwarebytes forum some months ago about Iobit's stealing Malwarebytes' proprietary database and using it in their software, I wouldn't touch anything Iobit produces or claims to produce.  For more information about this, see, for example, http://malwarebytes.besttechie.net/2009/11/02/iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/ and http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217.

40hz:
Go and look at sites like www.blackviper.com to see which services can be disabled.-Shades (April 17, 2010, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I love Black Viper's site. His advice has brought in quite a lot of money for me when I have to fix what his advice broke on clients' PCs.
-Innuendo (April 17, 2010, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 with you on that.

He's been responsible for a very nice fix-it project* we recently got called in to do - but shouldn't have. Too bad BV doesn't have a "make donation" button on his website. I almost feel I owe him something.

Generally, it's a bad idea to go "cookbook" if you're gonna ditz with system settings. There's really no good substitute for actually understanding a bit about what you're changing around.

But if you do insist on going the cookbook route, at least be sure you read all the instructions - and follow them to the letter... :mrgreen:

My client didn't.

ka-ching!!!  8)

*(Just in case anybody's interested - it was a video editing workstation they were trying to get a "performance boost" out of because they had a deadline coming up and were running late.)

What strikes me as strange is that people who find out about the Black Viper site, make changes and then call for help because something goes wrong. The site also shows what the default service setting should be in case something goes wrong. Can people not change back to the default state which is shown to them? More or less next to suggested change?-Shades (April 18, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently not. And bless 'em for that! ;D

Sorry, but that kind of stupidity does hardly compute with me. Such things make me always think: 'User error, replace user and continue'

--- End quote ---

Oh please don't! Who will sign all those lovely checks and credit card slips if you do that? :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version