ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Which prize would you choose?

<< < (2/5) > >>

app103:
Is this supposed to be a logic/behavior problem as people are suggesting? Are you trying to second guess the other entrants and chose the drawing fewest of them would have opted for the increasing you chances of winning?
-Eóin (April 15, 2010, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's up to you how you choose to analyze the question. I am just curious as to the reasons people would give for their choices, the thinking behind it. I asked this question to friends and family (offline) and the answers were rather interesting, so I wondered if the answers that DC members would give would be just as interesting.

Typical answer among friends & familyBased on the answers given by friends and family, I have come to the conclusion that most of them are in denial of their own greed. Typical answer was something like "I am not greedy, so I'll take the $250, because most people are greedy and will go for the $1000, giving me a better chance of winning the $250."

The way I see it, anything you do to increase your chances of winning is done out of greed. The only way your decision wouldn't be greed motivated is if you did something like toss a coin to determine which one to enter, or as parkint did and refuse to enter at all.

J-Mac:
I wouldn’t choose either. IME such contests are usually designed to get something from me to you and not the other way around. I just ignore all contests, sweepstakes, etc.

Thank you.

Jim

CleverCat:
I would choose neither.
I don't believe in sweepstakes (aka gambling) and never participate.  Afterall, by never expecting something for nothing I am NEVER disappointed!
-parkint (April 15, 2010, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup:

bgd77:
Is this some kind of sociological study?  :)

Someone said that choosing 250$ over 1000$ shows that you are not greedy. But I think that in fact, you are greedy no matter what variant of this 2 you choose. If you consider that a person that goes for 1000$ in this kind of game is greedy, then everyone that plays this kind of game, no matter what the outcome, is greedy.

Also, this is not gambling. You do not pay for entering the draw, from what I understood. And even if you had to pay, it resembles more with lottery than with gambling.

I choose 1000$, but I think that Eoin is right, one has better chances when choosing the 250$ draw.

Perry Mowbray:
Well I chose $1000 on the premise:

* They are free
* I'm getting one anyway
* I can give the one I got for free to someone who'll appreciate it more (as a gesture basically, as 1/106 isn't great odds)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version