ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free

<< < (13/13)

40hz:
But everything from titles to badges to post counts are the same sort of carrot type leading mechanism- to keep people invested in a particular community.
-wraith808 (April 22, 2010, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Badges? Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!  :P

Excellent point. :Thmbsup: Hadn't considered it from that perspective.

I tend to overlook the power of socially conferred tokens since I'm not all that interested in them. (Quite often to my personal detriment, I might add! ;D )   

urlwolf:
So, I've been looking at osqa. Thy seem to be cracking features at a good pace and they face the same issues with moderation and voting. The good thing is that they are not 100% clone, and since one can modify the code, one can have any variation on the voting etc (e.g., do away with badgets).

This type of site can definitely used for normal conversation or even announcement/blogging *example*

They seem to have the backing of http://dzone.com/. One of the most active users is Rick Ross, so I think the project will have a bright future. They released an (easier) install guide. I'll try to install it next...

urlwolf:
Ok, now I got osqa up and running. Looks very good, and very modular... let me know if you want to see if any mod you consider crucial is possible.

independently of osqa, there are other models to look at. Reddit and Hacker news for example.
Some interesting developments in the Hacker news area is browser plugins. For example, Hacker Friends (chrome extension) highlights when your friends post to Hacker News. I find it quite useful to go through the sea of hierarchical comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version