ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free

<< < (2/13) > >>

patcito:
Hi all, I'm one of the dev of Shapado. You can install it on your own server indeed but you can also have a free hosted version, creating a site take just a few seconds and is free plus no need to propose an idea or anything like that   8) http://shapado.com/groups/new (you need to login first).

If you need any help, tell me, I'm available on IRC too (#shapado on freenode).

Cheers,

Pat

mouser:
Shapado looks great, welcome to the site Pat  :up:

Perry Mowbray:
I think the model works fantastically for what they use it for, for focused question+answers by experts.  But we are much more conversational here, so i'm not sure it would be a good match.. and i don't know how you could combine them.
-mouser (April 15, 2010, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the "combine them" is the holy grail part...

It's been widely discussed here that having one medium (forum) is not necessarily the best fit for all the different things that DC do. Some of the question and answer posts would definitely fit better where a subsequent viewer can jump to the best answer... or read them all if they want.

What's the best xxx get out of date so quickly sometimes.

But if it's not possible to combine, then maybe it's best to live with the restrictions to maintain our conversational tone?

urlwolf:
I can imagine many phpbb and NM forums may be having this same conversation right now...

Finding the right answer in a forum takes effort. Try it on ubuntuforums, where threads hit 100 pages often... This is where I think SO model wins.

I guess the only way to test this is to actually try it.
I'll dedicate 1hr each to shapado and osqa, and report back.
But even if everything was running and ready... what do we do? Stop using the forum for a week and post only on the other SO thing? Then reconvene here and discuss the experience?

Stoic Joker:
I think the model works fantastically for what they use it for, for focused question+answers by experts.  But we are much more conversational here, so i'm not sure it would be a good match.. and i don't know how you could combine them.
-mouser (April 15, 2010, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the "combine them" is the holy grail part...

It's been widely discussed here that having one medium (forum) is not necessarily the best fit for all the different things that DC do. Some of the question and answer posts would definitely fit better where a subsequent viewer can jump to the best answer... or read them all if they want.

What's the best xxx get out of date so quickly sometimes.

But if it's not possible to combine, then maybe it's best to live with the restrictions to maintain our conversational tone?
-Perry Mowbray (April 15, 2010, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why not do something like Experts-Exchange.com? Question is asked->discussion ensues->answer is found - and then marked (boldly) as Accepted Answer. That post also gets a different title bar color so it's easy to scroll to if you just need a quick answer.

That's not a bad mix of the two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version