ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

NANY 2011 :: A New Concept -- Have your say!

<< < (8/14) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
Alrighty mouser, I have expressed my feeling I'm done, 'nuf said.  :)

40hz:
I think the suggested documentation requirement for something to be included in a separate category could be a major stumbling block. Documentation is a MAJOR PAIN for everybody including the big commercial code shops.

Maybe there could be some form of 'special achivement' recognition for excellent documentation being included? Maybe like NANY and NANY w/bronze oak leaf frond...This way it doesn't categorize something as better. It just acknowledges it came with some extra goodness.

Documentation is the bane of the FOSS world. Many otherwise excellent applications are hobbled by the fact they're complex programs and nobody want to write the documentation they need to be useful to most people. So I'm very big on encouraging good documentation.

Maybe a major documentation effort could be its own achievement award? Cody Quill anyone?
 :)

Perry Mowbray:
Back to NANY (but not unrelated to the latest tangent), I am becoming a convert to the Simple-Is-Better position advocated in this thread, which is a bit of a reversal from my position at the start of this discussion.

It is my view that we should encourage more DC members who are coders to work on more substantial applications for NANY -- to use NANY as motivation to start a new programming project they've been putting off.

But I think now that rather than trying to codify that in the rules/deadlines/etc., we should try to keep the procedure for participating in NANY as simple as we possibly can, and do this "encouragement" informally.
-mouser (April 18, 2010, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

So basically removing the requirements and leaving it up to the entrant, something like this:

* NANY '11 Board opens with Instructions: Possibly as early as June.

* A Suggestion Thread that can be used for suggestions & discussions of ideas.
* Newsletters focus on the new NANY approach, etc through the year
* Volunteers are called for/made available for some of the "extra polish" for entries (possibility of supplying software) :

* Icons / Graphics
* Help Documentation
* Screencasts
* Pledge when ever you want.
* beta releases can be uploaded for Testing and Feedback (if the entrant thinks that's required or helpful)
* Release before December 31st (it's possible to pledge and release on the same day)
* Only one update: The New Year Wrap Up: 

* Which categorises all releases based on our running of the apps.
* Screencasts
* Aiming for publish mid-January

cranioscopical:
So I'm very big on encouraging good documentation.
Cody Quill anyone?-40hz
--- End quote ---
I think you've nailed it, 40hz. Where there's a quill, there's a way.

Perry Mowbray:
So I'm very big on encouraging good documentation.
Cody Quill anyone?-40hz
--- End quote ---
I think you've nailed it, 40hz. Where there's a quill, there's a way.
-cranioscopical (April 18, 2010, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually Chris, I've probably got a few quills available... so let's hope there'll be a way  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version