ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

NANY 2011 :: A New Concept -- Have your say!

<< < (6/14) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
Hmm, have u guys got the feeling that NANY is becoming a yearly drill and to the majority of event participants there is no enthusiasm there?

This is probably an small indication of a bigger problem... that DC is on the decline (in terms of readership, participation and external press) and people are losing curiosity, interest and sense of attachment (for some) that they used to have.

Wakey wakey guys.

cranioscopical:
Can I interest you in an array of second-class applications? Any takers?
-Cranioscopical
--- End quote ---
True: it wasn't meant to infer lesser class -- just different. Suggestions?-Perry
--- End quote ---
Maybe "extended entry"? .. to me that doesn't convey any distinction in quality, merely that the entry contains something more. Of course I am not a native English speaker-Jibz
--- End quote ---

I am a native English speaker and "extended entry" seems to me to be a good fit.

I'd like to take this chance to say that the stewardship provided by Perry looks already to be as outstanding this year as it was last.

TucknDar:
Hmm, have u guys got the feeling that NANY is becoming a yearly drill and to the majority of event participants there is no enthusiasm there?

This is probably an small indication of a bigger problem... that DC is on the decline (in terms of readership, participation and external press) and people are losing curiosity, interest and sense of attachment (for some) that they used to have.

Wakey wakey guys.
-lotusrootstarch (April 16, 2010, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting, I'd like to see the statistical evidence you surely must have to support your claims :tellme:

lotusrootstarch:
Hey Tuck, I don't mean to offend anyone here rly and actually I donated to the site back quite a while ago.

I'd be very interested in seeing most recent stats but I doubt that stats speak much. There're things that you just have to feel.

Well, some questions to provoke thoughts:

1. Has DC got much change in general site look and feel, number of active participants compared with itself 3 years ago?

I say the no. of active chatters on the forums have been dropping and obviously in diversity as well - you can tell by seeing posting from ppl in the "clique" again and again and again, on almost any thread, and sometimes you can just simply foretell what they are gonna say, very predictable.

2. Is there any new additional software on the site that appeal to the general audienc... in the last 3 years?
Please... lol r u kidding me? ppl are donating for maintenance and bug fixes, not for innovations.

Oh and for the NANY, it's going fast downhill, I mean fast... There were serious projects that generated tons of public interest, like CircleDock, Trout just to name a few. Now if you look at NANY year 2009 and in particular 2010, the event has kinda evolved into a compulsory annual mug distribution thing and performance gets evaluation by counting how many mugs get sent this year, compared year over year -- it's somehow like saying "come up with whatever carp or mini-carp we'll send u some same old gift that never changes to mark the event. see ya next year for the same thing."

It did not surprise me that virtually no meaningful publicity generated out of NANY 2010, if you are a blogger looking at the list there's nothing write about so just move on. Despite the fact that all these coders were so kind to give up their Xmas and NY holidays to work on something that's even got a "deadline", don't you sense the boredom, joylessness in there, and probably in the eyes of many -- involuntariness. It's not me speaking for coders, but it's their programs themselves that speak this out.

Perry Mowbray:
I'd be very interested in seeing most recent stats but I doubt that stats speak much. There're things that you just have to feel.
-lotusrootstarch (April 17, 2010, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are these stats to be believed? http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/donationcoder.com; but I agree, we're not after numbers but a good experience for entrants, members and other users.

There were serious projects that generated tons of public interest, like CircleDock, Trout just to name a few. Now if you look at NANY year 2009 and in particular 2010, the event has kinda evolved into a compulsory annual mug distribution thing and performance gets evaluation by counting how many mugs get sent this year, compared year over year -- it's somehow like saying "come up with whatever carp or mini-carp we'll send u some same old gift that never changes to mark the event. see ya next year for the same thing."
-lotusrootstarch (April 17, 2010, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Trout came from NANY 2009... but are you saying that you think that we should be encouraging more serious software?

Certainly, we've discussed points similar to that that you've mentioned and I think we're agreed that NANY had developed in ways we're not entirely happy with: hence this and previous discussions. But I'm struggling to find actual concrete suggestions from you that we could consider implementing?

We're keen to make NANY a great event for entrants and users alike. Or are you saying it's past its use-by-date?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version