ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple Attacks Adobe

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
Unless Adobe had a specific agreement with Apple to use/run Flash, Adobe has no case to bring. The courts have long found in favor of closed industries unless they're breaking prior contractual agreements.
--- End quote ---

That legal argument didn't work too well for Microsoft.  ;)

Once you reach a certain mass, the various trade commissions start to view your actions in a different light.

Apple is used to playing the underdog. Now that it's becoming more and more obvious they're not, I think they're going to gain a better appreciation of what Microsoft is going through being current King of the Hill.

8)

zridling:
Here's more in an "open letter" by John Battelle.

Dear Apple:
We miss you. Once upon a time, back before you got real popular, you used to take part in the public square. You may have been less forthcoming than most, but at least your employees would speak at industry events, have unscripted conversations with journalists, and engage in the world a bit here and there. But over the past few years, things seem to have changed. You pulled out of MacWorld and began hosting your own strictly scripted events. You forbid any of your executives from speaking at any public conferences (save one victory lap with Bill Gates a few years ago). Employees blogging, posting to social networks, or offering academic papers for public comment is actively discouraged. In the words of an employee of your one of your former partners: Apple essentially bans “things that we at companies with an open culture take for granted.”

more...

mouser:
i don't know.. that open letter is not so much about apple opening up its products/APIs/etc., it seems more about people wanting press access.

Stoic Joker:
i don't know.. that open letter is not so much about apple opening up its products/APIs/etc., it seems more about people wanting press access.-mouser (April 18, 2010, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's being presented as an Iceberg tip.

TheQwerty:
I've been wondering since all this started if a class action lawsuit from a number of developers who have either:
1) Had their apps approved and then without warning removed from the App Store
2) Had apps approved that make use of the frameworks that are now 'illegal' from section 3.3.1
... would stand up in court.

I'm sure Apple's dev TOS gives them the ability to do all this, and change the rules of the game during the game, but has such an agreement really been tested?

I struggle to understand how any developer is willing to work in Apple's prison (wall-garden is too positive a name) when they show so little respect for developers as a whole and have no problem secretly killing off your business at any time even if you were following their asinine rules.

As an aside, I'm not very familiar with the various options for mobile ads, but perhaps 3.3.1 is also about pushing developers into adopting iAds over AdMob or others?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version