ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple Attacks Adobe

<< < (2/6) > >>

wraith808:
Has anyone been paying any attention to the Apple iPhone developer license 3.3.1 issue?
-Renegade (April 13, 2010, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hadn't before now... thanks for the heads up.

For those not familiar with it already, Apple has restricted all iPhone development to Objective-C, C, and C++ (written/compiled in Xcode) (with some other allowances for HTML5 and JavaScript that have strict limitations). They are torpedoing a whole whack of technologies that people use for iPhone development:

* MonoTouch
The general reaction so far is pretty vicious against Apple.

Novell (makers of MonoTouch) have been very diplomatic saying that they are asking for "clarifications", or in other words, they're looking to see if Apple wants to screw everyone, or just Adobe.

Thoughts?
-Renegade (April 13, 2010, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thing is... I'm a windows developer.  But in my house, I have 2 iPhones, and soon an iPod touch... and maybe... horrors... an iPad soon.  (Some friends bought it, I played with it, and it's not just BAIT... It's a really good experience!)

One of the big reasons for my buy-in is MonoTouch- I've even been looking at getting a Mac because I was going to dual boot windows 7 and mac's os so I could work on my iPhone.  But this... wow.  MonoTouch would let me use my C# skills on my apps... but this would take that away.

As Eoin said,
Of course if Apple were a monopoly like MS then the EU would probably already be stepping in to prevent this nonsense.

--- End quote ---

Which has always been my argument against doing the things to MS that have been done... you don't just kick the big guy, because the little guys are doing the same thing too... and right is right and wrong is wrong.  Apple has been a mini MS in their marketing for a while now, and IMO they should be policed in the same manner as MS.   In fact, their Market Cap is about to pass MS.. so who is the little guy now?

zridling:
Aren't Apple's "i-devices" virtually a monopoly with regard to marketshare? Surely iPods and iPhones are. How simpler the world would be if open source hardware and software were the law of the land. Instead we get:

- I am Apple.
- I have a gated community, and
- You may not enter!

With the money I saved/never spent on those devices, I just remodeled and renovated my bathroom. Hey, and no monthly fees! Feels good.

The worst part is that Apple gets 30% off the top for every app sold in its App Store and 100% off of free apps. Phuck you, Apple.

Daleus:
I'm surprised by Apple's stance - they have a long history of being a "closed shop" and extreme control freaks.

As for Adobe, I've less and less impressed with their products. They are good in conception but more and more Adobe products are becoming bloatware, buggy and when seeking customer service, they have become less and less responsive.

I am happy to see two angry rip each other apart.  Perhaps the resulting legal costs will make them both take a step backwards and in doing so allow lessen known and superior products step in the fill the gap.

This is strictly my end-user point of view.  I'm not a programmer like a lot of you here, and I'm sure there are good technical arguments on both sides of the fence. But I just can't sympathize with either side in this case.

Cheers!

Darwin:
Ryan - I just read your blog  ;D :-* I've missed you.

My new credo in life is: GSD!

You could be the next Anthony Robbins!

zridling:
I am happy to see two angry rip each other apart.  Perhaps the resulting legal costs will make them both take a step backwards and in doing so allow lessen known and superior products step in the fill the gap.-Daleus (April 14, 2010, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Problem is, unless Adobe had a specific agreement with Apple to use/run Flash, Adobe has no case to bring. The courts have long found in favor of closed industries unless they're breaking prior contractual agreements. (I'm no fan of Adobe either, but you get what you deserve when playing with proprietary software and hardware.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version