ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Mail and/or RSS reader" screensaver?

<< < (4/5) > >>

nudone:
i better get on with it then - i was getting side-tracked again.

just to clarify: you'll have to install samurize before you can use the screensaver. i'll try to include a quick setup guide later...

mouser:
I like the idea of putting cody the bird next to the rss feed!
--- End quote ---

agree - that's the best part  ;)

nudone:
download and install samurize (i've used the default paths and settings)

locate the folder that you've installed samurize to i.e. C:\Program Files\Samurize

extract the contents of the 'samurize stuff v2' archive into the Samurize program folder mentioned above. this will add various configs, scripts, plugins and images that i've used.

(please be aware that i would like to have credited the authors that wrote the scripts and plugins but as the Samurize homepage doesn't appear to have a search function i can't find who the authors are. i couldn't even download 'fuzzy clock', it's just something i've had for a few months so i already used it. if i can i'll try to update this with all the appropriate details at some point - hopefully with a better screensaver.)

now run 'samurize' if you haven't already started it.

from the system tray you can load in a config file, try 'RSS Desktop.ini' this will place a small rectangle on your desktop with the DonationCoder RSS feed inside it - double click on it to open up the related webpage (i've actually made it link to 'unread posts').

now for the RSS screensaver:

open 'display properties' and then the 'screen saver' tab.

choose 'samurize' from the drop down list.

click the 'settings' button - the 'samurize screensaver settings' dialog will appear.

click the 'edit' button and choose the 'RSS Screensaver.ini' or 'RSS Screensaver DC.ini' then click 'okay'.

try a preview if you wish to test if things are working.

i'd recommend adjusting the timings to your requirements - i think the screensaver moves to a random location every 30 seconds at present.

to edit the samurize screensaver or other configs, you can right click on the 'samurize' icon in the system tray and select 'Edit config file...'

if it's your first time with samurize it probably won't make a lot of sense within the editor but it's simple enough to learn through trial and error - just keep plenty of backups.

now, this is a bit of a mess i admit, i got an error whilst trying this method out on a fresh install of samurize and yet everything worked perfectly the second time i selected the 'RSS screensaver.ini'.

i hope this, at least, provides a bit of stimulation and entices you into trying more configurations with samurize. i haven't really scratched the surface in demonstrating what samurize can do(maybe i've slightly tickled it with a soft downy feather from one of cody's more intimate parts.)

i'd love to say more but there's a whole website and forum dedicated to Samurize so i suggest that anyone interested goes there.
Samurize news: http://www.samurize.com/modules/news/
Samurize forum: http://www.samurize.com/modules/ipboard/

i'll probably make another screensaver (or several) when i have time, so i'll make another post if i do.

(edit: i've changed the original zip file to 'samurize stuff v2' which should now have a 15 minute frequency for RSS feed checking.)

mouser:
works great here!!
yes i got same error on first use and not after that.

One thing - its set to update the RSS feed every 100 seconds - that's really pretty high and could be a drain on the server if everyone leaves it at that.  can i suggest that future versions set default poll rate to once every 5 or 15 minutes?

mouser:
beautiful work nudone!
a must have accessory for hardcore dc'ers.

ps.
you can use the bigger screensaver ini for the desktop too right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version