ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

UK amateur photographers: if you're good, don't use Boots!

<< < (3/6) > >>

nudone:
Definitely not funny when seriously looked at what is happening. It's a bit surreal at times as it just strikes me that UK government (well, about 25% of it that isn't Brussels controlled) is planning this country's future on a book published in 1948. I read Orwell's book at school - it seemed like an obvious warning to us at the time - i wonder if they still give it the students of today or if they'd care what it said anyway.

bgd77:
It seems to me that only a small percent of the youth population still read books. What they read now is ... facebook (or any other socialization site).

On the other hand, do you think that Brussels is to blame for it? I don't think that the euro-politicians have to much power on individual states, especially on topics like this.

nudone:
Is Brussels to blame? I don't think so - not unless in a few years we see that the UK was just a template for the rest of Europe.

tomos:
The EU is still very mixed - seems to me that most countries have at least some odball ideas/plans for their citizens. UK seems to want to hold back from involvement in EU, which I can well understand (but it is often expressed in ways that I personally dont understand e.g. not joining in with the Euro) -
but,
my point is: I dont think UK is a 'template for the rest of Europe' at any rate (of course that doesnt mean eu countries wont start following their example!)

Is Brussels to blame? I don't think so - not unless in a few years we see that the UK was just a template for the rest of Europe.
-nudone (April 14, 2010, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

bgd77:
I have to agree with tomos. In my country's case, if it wouldn't have been for the EU, we would have not progressed at all since 1990. The EU has a great merit in the democratization of my country.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version