ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Point Motivator

Ways to use Point Motivator: goal for defined period

<< < (3/4) > >>

Contro:
Web environment = share with myself in first instance, or optionally with others = Optimism

Auto help and help programs.

And create the need to be with the soft everywhere.

Do you know that people walking with the eyes in somewhere except in the street or in the people around ?
Do you know the friend using a phone to communicate with someone important while is two ausent hours with you ?
 ;D

Ignatius:
Hello,
I have been using Point Motivator for years, and over the past few days it has stopped working. When I try to start the app 2 message boxes appear. One says "EAccessViolation", and the other says "List index out of bounds (0)". What could it be?

mouser:
Hi Ignatius.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with it.  I must say it doesn't seem the application ever really caught on much, so you may be one of a small handful of users.

The first thing to do is go and make a copy of and backup the data files with all of your items and data.
SO go and copy (zip) the entire directory of "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DonationCoder\PointMotivator" and put that copy someplace safe.

Ok so now there are two things for us to look at, the "PointMotivator.ini" file which is all your generic settings.
And the "UserItemDefs\myitems.itemxml" file which contains all your created items and data.

If you have nothing sensitive you could email those to me to have a look ([email protected]).

If there are sensitive items, you could just open those files in a text editor and see if you spot anything unusual.

You could (after having made a backup!) try exiting the program and deleting your PointMotivator.ini file and restarting, to see if the problem was just a weird setting that got corrupted.

If that doesn't solve it then hopefully it's just a matter of some item in the xml file got a value that is triggering a bug and we can track it down and fix it.

The worst case scenario would be if your myitems.xml file got completely corrupted or erased somehow, so that would be the other thing you can check in a text editor.

Ignatius:
Thanks Mouser. After following your suggestion to find and delete "PointMotivator.ini" the application is now working again.

It's a pity that Point Motivator isn't more popular. Token economies are well established in psychology, are widely used, and have very strong empirical support. I don't know of any alternative software which serves the same purpose. I'd expect Point Motivator would much more likely catch on among certain niches. Anyway, thanks again. Glad to have it back in order.

mouser:
Good to hear it's working again!

If you backed up your PointMotivator.ini I would love to see it along with the new one to see if I can spot what was causing the error.

Well regarding the popularity of PointMotivator -- I think it's due largely to two understandable things:
1. The move to web apps
2. The move to mobile apps

Similar kinds of apps exist (in more fun gamified forms) on the web and probably on mobile devices (and which run on both).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version