ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

two-monitors ergonomics

<< < (5/14) > >>

nudone:
i mentioned above that i was tempted to use a virtual desktop even though i've a physical multi-screen setup.

i've been trying a few of the typical virtual desktop managers (Dexpot, etc) and so far the free util "VirtuaWin" http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/ appears to work perfectly fine alongside UltraMon. the problem with the other virtual desktop mangers was that they lost the extra taskbars provided by UltraMon.

VirtuaWin also has a range of modules to extend it which i've yet to try.

if i notice anything interesting about the VirtuaWin/UltraMon combination i'll make a post about it. i'm expecting it to take a while to work out a best way to use all of these extra functions and desktop space...

AndyM:
I use virtual desktops (have since OS/2 days), so a combination of virtual desktops and multiple monitors sounds particularly interesting.

nudone, your monitors are not all the same size and orientation.  Would you run particular destops on particular monitors?

nudone:
Would you run particular destops on particular monitors?
-AndyM (April 13, 2010, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
can you explain a little more, i'm not sure what you mean - it's confusing having all these virtual and physical desktops to refer to.

AndyM:
With Mouser's setup (identical monitors), it wouldn't matter which monitor you ran a particular virtual desktop on.

But with your setup, I imagine some virtual desktops would be set up for the portrait monitor, some for the bigger landscape monitor, etc. 

nudone:
so far (unless i've missed some important configuration options) it looks like you don't have a choice to set individual virtual desktops to specific screens. the utils i've tried consider the entire collection of real desktop space, i.e. all your monitors, as one single desktop.

so, when using a virtual desktop manager, you get a virtual duplicate of whatever your real physical desktop setup is. "desktop 1" has my 3 monitors on it and "desktop 2" has the same 3 monitor screen layout.

this was part of the problem when trying the virtual desktop manager programs. because they appear to assume you've only got a single monitor they don't know what to do with a taskbar on a second monitor - so the extra taskbars vanish which makes your virtual desktops on the secondary monitors hard to use.

VirtuaWin doesn't have this problem at all - it totally respects UltraMon's extra taskbars so you get taskbars on all screens on all virtual (and real) desktops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version