ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"The More You Use Google, the More Google Knows about you"

<< < (13/18) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Two stories listed on HackerNews this morning:

2. Obama administration wants warrantless access rights to most US email (cnet.com)
3. Thousands of webcam images have been found in the school district being sued (philly.com)
--- End quote ---

The top one says that the President thinks that the government should get access to our emails without any probable cause or due process of any kind. The bottom is an update about a school district that issued laptop computers with remote-control webcams and has been spying on the students.

So the battle isn't looking good. We're fighting a defensive battle, certainly not making any positive ground in our civil rights.

JavaJones:
Did anyone actually read that first Cnet article? It's remarkably topical to this conversation, though it wouldn't appear so just from the brief description above. Check out the lead sentence:

"Google and an alliance of privacy groups have come to Yahoo's aid by helping the Web portal fend off a broad request from the U.S. Department of Justice for e-mail messages, CNET has learned."

and

"This case is about protecting the privacy rights of all Internet users," a Google representative said in a statement provided to CNET on Tuesday. "E-mail stored in the cloud should have the same level of protection as the same information stored by a person at home."

Yeah, so this is why I don't feel all that bad about using Google services and Google having access to data about me.

- Oshyan

paarkhi:
Dont you think this story is too much exaggerated

bleh75:
Hmm I've never heard of the Iron browser but it looks decent I'll give it a whirl thx  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Dont you think this story is too much exaggerated

-paarkhi (April 16, 2010, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hard to say.

I used to feel that way about all those dystopian stories about the USA gradually becoming a police state.

Then along came the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay and documented accounts of some of what went on there. I haven't felt the same about our political and legal system since.

SciFi is only scifi until reality catches up with it. Nowadays, it seems like the lagtime can be measured in days instead of centuries.
 :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version