ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HCenc beta

<< < (2/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the info.  One thing I have noticed is with some .mkv to dvd conversions is some slight choppiness in lateral motion scenes.  I'm wondering if it may be due to QuEnc constant 1 pass high quality as AVStoDVD does by default for high bitrate. I want to put some through HC full 2 pass manually and see how they come out.

What I could really use is a free, easy to use, stable .mkv tool to get short clips for testing.  I have done a couple with HC 2 pass and they don't seem to have that lateral chop.  When the actor is walking across the room it's almost like 1 frame is missing here and there.  I usually do Spline16Resize to size down.  I tried Spline64Resize and it was even more noticeable.

Next thing is to get more into subtitles.

But in cases where you can use the audio stream as is, there's not that much to just processing the video with HC.  At least when using the vanilla settings.  Another reason to have short clips so I can play with lumengain and some of the other settings.

sajman99:
I always do everything HC 2 pass by overriding the AVStoDVD settings. Yeah, it takes some extra time for probably only a marginal improvement. But I figure hey, if it's worth doing, it's worth trying to achieve optimal quality.

To this day, I've never messed around with QuEnc. I don't have anything against it, per se. It's just that a HC encode looks so darn good I've stuck with it by habit.

Regarding luminace gain (LUMGAIN), I no longer use it. Some while ago I was using LUMGAIN 2 on a DVD source with lots of CGI content and HCenc locked up. After trying multiple times with the same failure, I removed LUMGAIN and was able to complete the encode. Mind you, this was a couple HC versions ago.

Bug or isolated incident? No idea, but I haven't used LUMGAIN since so as to avoid any possible issues.

MilesAhead:
I think overriding to use HC Enc in AVStoDVD using 2 pass will work fine.  I tried to do it with 1 pass.  That's likely why HC prompted that the settings didn't make much sense. Now I'm just going with HC Enc using the gui and straight 2 pass mode.  The couple of DVD9 I've made so far using that method, lateral motion in the result seems quite fluid.  QuEnc seems to be ok for avi=>dvd but for sizing down with one pass it's probably less than ideal.

For some reason too it seems kind of fun to peel off the audio stream and just use it the way it is after processing the video stream.  I've had a lot of "one click" tools give me problems processing the audio, or muxing at the end.  Seems like if I do it myself and author with DVDAuthorGui everything runs smooth.  Esp. reading from one drive and writing to another sometimes I'm on the other PC surfing and I'm surprised the job is done already. It's so much smoother when the storage load is distributed.

edit: In a way I almost feel silly doing this DVD9 stuff because the 264 is going to blow it all away.  A little bit of evolution and more reliable/stable tools and it's gonna' just blow everything else out of the water.  I had an .mkv that was about 16 GB and put it through Handbrake.  It produced a 5 GB .mkv and I couldn't tell the difference afa color, motion, anything.  It looked just as good.  Only thing it took about 4 hours to do it.  A few more iterations of tools and an Octocore PC and I'll be rockin'!! :)

Innuendo:
Last night I used DVD Rebuilder Pro (with HCenc) for the first time on my new PC. Coming from an old Prescott CPU I was amazed.

There were 8 (eight!) instances of HCenc running simultaneously chewing through that DVD like nobody's business. I'd tell you how long it took, but I forgot to look at the log when I was finished. I was still thunderstruck by how fast it all went.

Miles, I do agree all the 264 stuff is going to blow this DVD crap all the way, but I'm stuck with this and Divx till I can find a nice set-top box that can process x264 without keeling over from the load.

MilesAhead:
Yeah, I have DVDRB Pro.  It is nice to have an instance per core running.  I like my WD set top box but the real piss off is they abandoned the 1st generation box(which is what I have) and pretty much said, "well, if the stuff you don't like ain't fixed in the Nov 2009 firmware update, guess you got to buy Gen. 2."  That's really annoying.

One online user review claims the Gen 1 box has better upscaling of SD content(the user says he has both a gen1 and gen2 box to compare the output.) So I guess it's a mixed bag.  The other thing, for these big video files, the next version has to support USB 3.0.  Then I bet a lot of that audio out of sync and subtitle out of sync because you hit FF will go away.  Maybe in a year or two it will be worth going with a new version of it, or another box.

I do have to say I was a bit surprised how good avi HD looks.  Some 720P a bit over a GB for a 45 minute TV show looks crystal clear.  The main annoyance there is the lack of subtitle support.  It won't display AviAddXSubs type subtitles as a stand-alone divx dvd player will.  You have to use external .srt or burn the subs in. And of course any non-text subs or PGS subs, well forget it!!  I have to convert the PGS to .srt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version