ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do *you* tell when your OS is booted/ready?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Actually I would like an app that quickly checks if "everything" loaded... sometimes it seems an app, even a security app does not load, and I may miss it.  I would put this other app on 15 minute delay and it would check if A-B-C are running.

Shalom,
Steven

Innuendo:
Starting with Vista, but magnified significantly with 7, #2 is achieved surprisingly quickly following the appearance of the desktop. Windows 7 REALLY shines in that number 1 is achieved quite quickly after that. -Darwin (April 06, 2010, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have been experimenting with hibernation & Windows 7 with my newly built PC. Everything fires up in 2 or 3 seconds with no wait time. I love it.  :-*

Darwin:
Reading my post quoted in Innuendo's post above, I feel it rather unfortunate that I chose to refer to the booting scenarios as being either #1 or #2. It was silly of me and I apologize.

bgd77:
On my computer, many programs start automatically, so it can take a lot of time until the OS is ready to be used. If I do not wait, even if everything appears to be normal, the computer works very hard, it opens the Start menu or another application after a log time, very slowly.

So I use Process Explorer to see when everything is OK. It autostarts at boot and I look at what it displays. Usually, even if it appears that all programs are started and that the OS is ok, PE still indicates a lot of activity. The parameters I monitor are CPU activity and I/O Bytes. When they get close to 0 for a few seconds it usually means that the OS and the applications have done their startup activities and I am able to use the PC.

barney:
Hm-m-m ... no one seems concerned about when the autostart apps are finished..  Granted, I don't wait, either, but some of the apps I autostart are for security purposes, and are not truly functional until they have finished starting - ?!? - and thus are not functional when interactive usage is implemented.

Considering how rapidly interactiveness is available with Win7, and considering some of the responses here, I'm starting to wonder if that could become an issue.  As an example, I have SyncBackSE starting on boot to synchronize a local drive/directory with a NAS partition/directory.  With XP, I can be reasonably certain SyncBack is finished before I can effectively use the system.  That may not be the case with Win7, 'specially with a 64-bit CPU - ??? - so looks like a return to experimentation  & stopwatch[es] is in order  :o.

Even then, not certain I can ascertain whether a process has completed initialization, or just see that it is running - not the same thing at all, unfortunately:  had my nose rubbed in that fact back in the Visual Basic days  ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version