ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Note-taking Software for Windows (FREE)

<< < (5/7) > >>

note-taker:
Another major example: many on DC here have expressed dissatisfaction with Evernote's online approach (especially the disappearance of critical features) and dropped it but many may have adapted it for those same reasons.
--- End quote ---
C1: A loose interpretation is almost like half good half bad.
(C for Comment)

Another further example: many dropped Google Notebooks as soon as the announcement that it was going to be kept online but not updated anymore even though prior to that many were satisfied by the current set of features.

--- End quote ---

C2 = C1

Some of the more experienced testers or people with actual work to do probably has a "test load" they just copy paste and often they do that because an application is totally free or a priced app has a killer feature that actually made them want to test it regardless whether the app is free or not. (Even then it takes a hardcore notetaking searcher to do that and that was prior to OneNote being bundled in MS Office)
More importantly notetaker isn't a category that can't be replaced by a non-notetaker app like Word unlike those other examples.

--- End quote ---
If the following goals of learning and its process makes sense,
1) Capture knowledge and information most effectively
2) Organize them well (for most efficient access)
3) Encoding (layman term: turn them into yours)
   and Use them effectively (doing well with exams is a Key Objective in this regard
   for students)
4) Portability and Life-long Learning ...
Then one knows Word was not cut for that.  Now, if you are talking about creating a
proposal or the like, of course Word or other word process is the right choice, for others consumption Presentation is important otherwise not really.

Speaking of "killer feature", we can only speak of Knowledge NoteBook (KN) (it may sound biased):
* Innovative Flash Card Creation (not our words but users)
* Concept Mapping (virtually all male users LOVE it and the latest version
has improved its process to make it no brainer.  I don't exactly understand that part
though why all male users love it so much but have not heard anything back
from female users about it other than one I showed it to her and she said "cool".
* Contextual Link to Wikipedia (a valedictorian commented, "I've NEVER seen anything
like this, very cool!"

IainB:
@note-taker: Thankyou for your initial post and subsequent comments on this.
As an avid seeker of the ultimate PIM (Personal Information Manager) and Note-Taking or Information-Gathering tool, I read this discussion with keen interest.
I have gone over all the information provided on the website (http://www.knowledgenotebook.com/).
My conclusion is that Knowledge Notebook certainly looks very interesting - very impressive too - but, because of several of the points raised in the discussion and the website, I am rather reluctant to try Knowledge Notebook out. I shall defer the idea of trialling it for now, until some of the apparent constraints are sorted out and you are able to be more open about your strategy for the marketing and development of KN. (i.e., I shall adopt a "Wait and see" approach.)

note-taker:
@IainB

My conclusion is that Knowledge Notebook certainly looks very interesting - very impressive too - but, because of several of the points raised in the discussion and the website,
--- End quote ---
I'm confused by the above contradictoary statement.  On one hand, you stated
"very interesting - very impressive too", my guess is you formed such an impression based
on this thread as well as the KN website, but then, you also stated
"because of ... and the website", you seem to have an issue with the KN website,
what's it?

you are able to be more open about your strategy for the marketing and development of KN
--- End quote ---
Many of us have been users of software program of one kind or another, how many of us
have demanded the software program "manufacturer"/provider to share that type of
proprietary business secrets before using the software?  Probably less than 1/100.
Disclosure of your identity seems a reasonable call or pm may be helpful.

until some of the apparent constraints are sorted out
--- End quote ---
Please be more specfic, if you were referring to some of the nitpicking, please
check comment by 40hz 

Paul Keith:
Speaking of "killer feature", we can only speak of Knowledge NoteBook (KN) (it may sound biased):
* Innovative Flash Card Creation (not our words but users)
* Concept Mapping (virtually all male users LOVE it and the latest version
has improved its process to make it no brainer.  I don't exactly understand that part
though why all male users love it so much but have not heard anything back
from female users about it other than one I showed it to her and she said "cool".
* Contextual Link to Wikipedia (a valedictorian commented, "I've NEVER seen anything
like this, very cool!"
--- End quote ---

Killer features doesn't equal exclusive or appealing features though. It's features that for some reason has the magnetic power to convince users to switch from their default apps and stick to yours.

Albeit these are the features that made me want to try this app (minus the last bit about contextual link) but in order for those to be killer features, it should convince users to try it despite the barrier of entry. (In this case the 30 day license key system.)

This depends from person to person and a single person sample is insufficient but at the same time, it has kept me from trying your software for this reason and that much is true.

note-taker:
@Paul Keith,

Put it bluntly.  If a potential user hesitates because this simple 30 days free license key requirement (a simple email to the software provider would suffice to obtain the key, 2 minutes or even less to get it done) despite a substantial interest then we're sorry that person would be out.  Has the user's privacy been violated by sending an email to the software provider?  I don't think so.

Even Google anf Facebook would require users to sign up for some service, 2 minutes or more and they may ask for more info.

btw, it's not a "30 day license key system" but rather a simple necessity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version