ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Note-taking Software for Windows (FREE)

<< < (4/7) > >>

rjbull:
Your choice, but it sounds odd, a bit like something that was once shareware and is now freeware, but where the author hasn't bothered to remove the licence requirement.

--- End quote ---
We'll stick to what we say, it's totally FREE.  In the meantime, there's a business reason for it, we could talk about privately if you'd like.-note-taker (April 06, 2010, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see that posts since mine have continued that theme...  Both convenience and trust matter here.  If there's a genunine reason, fine, but I'm automatically wary if a company/author whose reputation I don't already know adopts a slightly unusual "registration policy."  No offence meant, but you're new to me and this is the Internet.

My scenario is of routinely running a user account under Vista Home Premium.  Installing anything means temporarily elevating to administrator, [...]

--- End quote ---
Interesting point on security with lesser account.  My concern is even as admin equivalent user the Vista and even 7 keeps complaining / asking for confirmations all the time, which is extremely annoying.  A guess is, the majority of the users use admin equivalent account, your thought?
--- End quote ---

I just don't know.  I'm doing an IT support course, and thought I'd better run things the way one is supposed to in Vista.  But it's such a pain that I'd not be surprised if most people gave a blood-curdling scream of frustration and turned UAC Off. 

Paul Keith:
No, I didn't mean to say it is a zero-sum game. Just that the marketing and the overall expectations have become a zero-sum game as far as notetaking applications go.

People just get tired much faster of putting their notes in an application, realizing it doesn't work and finding out they have to start all over again. On the flip side, it is precisely this lack of zero-sum effect, which allows such discrepancy between casual, academic and hobbyist notetakers that causes each group to be receptive to a zero-sum hype from a notetaking application.

That's why the further down the road this becomes, the more effort it takes to convince others to even click the download link and test-run such software. For some of the ones who tried many other software, they could even simply dismiss it just from viewing the feature list because they've already tried many other software and have a comfortable estimate of the pains they encountered.

That's why it's important for your group to seriously re-consider the "free as bonus" approach. I have no business knowledge to flat-out say there's some missing link in your marketing or approach to your software but in my opinion there is something you guys may be missing if you can on one hand say you gave a survey where Word (a word processor and not a notetaker) is the most dominant software being used and then in another post assume people should be rational and reasonably intelligent in choosing their notetaker software.

40hz:
I think we may be getting little bogged down in wording here.

I don't really see all that much difference in the note-taker "request free reg key" and all those "free" apps that require registration either to download or unlock.  And there are a lot of those out there.

As far as getting locked into a note taking app while trying it out...well...that's gonna be a potential problem with any of them if you decide it's not for you.

Besides, that's really not all that different a situation than you'd have if you wanted to switch your email, database, or office suite - so I'd hesitate to call it a unique problem.    

Just my two.  :)

cthorpe:
I don't really see all that much difference in the note-taker "request free reg key" and all those "free" apps that require registration either to download or unlock.  And there are a lot of those out there.
-40hz (April 07, 2010, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

And of course, there are a few programs out there that require (or at least required) regular re-registration at the site's forum if you didn't want to pay.  I know for a fact that they are well known and well loved around here.

Let's see if I can find that information....   ;)

The software from DonationCoder.com is free for personal use. The reason we require people to download a license key from us is to get them to take a look at our website and think about whether they might be willing to make a donation to this site.

In order to encourage people to really consider making a donation, we have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not donate:

* The free license key generated here will remove the reminder nag from the program for 6 months.
        * After 6 months the reminder will come back and you must return to this page to generate a new license key which will last for another 6 months.
        * After 1 year from your initial signup you can return to this page for a permanent non-expiring license key.

--- End quote ---

Paul Keith:
Actually speaking from a non-DC veteran member, such mechanics have turned me off from using many of the applications in DC. (Including Auto-Hotkey apps being detected as viruses)

The reason I use some DC apps are because I couldn't find exact alternative apps that would fill my needs but that is something notetaker applications have a luxury of.

A good example of a DC app which I rejected so flat out that I didn't even install it was FARR. The advanced features didn't appeal to me as I'm not a heavy techie user and I opted for Slickrun until I preferred the indexing of Launchy until Launchy became too heavy, I finally got an account and license key on DC and felt welcomed by the community before I even stayed with FARR.

I'm not the main audience though so that's alright but it shows how even the most mundane of setbacks can hurt your potential audience.

Another major example: many on DC here have expressed dissatisfaction with Evernote's online approach (especially the disappearance of critical features) and dropped it but many may have adapted it for those same reasons.

Another further example: many dropped Google Notebooks as soon as the announcement that it was going to be kept online but not updated anymore even though prior to that many were satisfied by the current set of features.

As far as getting locked into a note taking app while trying it out...well...that's gonna be a potential problem with any of them if you decide it's not for you.

Besides, that's really not all that different a situation than you'd have if you wanted to switch your email, database, or office suite - so I'd hesitate to call it a unique problem.
--- End quote ---

Most don't switch e-mail, database or office suite. When it finally came time to switch why did OpenOffice seemed a viable alternative? Because outside of piracy there wasn't much of an alternative for free office suites out there.

There are tons of notetakers out there. More importantly notetaker isn't a category that can't be replaced by a non-notetaker app like Word unlike those other examples.

Even when a person would opt to getting locked in once or twice, it eventually gets tiring.

Some of the more experienced testers or people with actual work to do probably has a "test load" they just copy paste and often they do that because an application is totally free or a priced app has a killer feature that actually made them want to test it regardless whether the app is free or not. (Even then it takes a hardcore notetaking searcher to do that and that was prior to OneNote being bundled in MS Office)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version