ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Note-taking Software for Windows (FREE)

<< < (3/7) > >>

Paul Keith:
This is an interesting software because it can potentially be an image organizer but I'd seriously re-consider this:

When the software expires in 30 days you simply follow instructions and we'll send you license code to continue its permanent use.
--- End quote ---

It may sound like nitpicking but none of your competitors have this as far as I know.

In a way this can be even more troublesome than an adware app because you have to sort of "invest" in an app even when trying it out.

Compendium had a register to download mechanic and it nearly turned me off so I'm sure you'll probably lose alot of potential downloads just due to this especially when you have an app that on first impression is like Evernote with a slightly better ui, ability to not always consume online connectivity and is not an advanced flash card app using SRS (at least I didn't see it in the introduction video)

I'm also skeptical about the comments you have under the VentureBeat article. It says someone uses it over OneNote but alot of the comments sound like astro-turfs although I may be over-estimating the knowledge level people have with notetaking software features but it is a bit glaring that you use it to compare only with Word rather than other popular notetakers.

All in all, I don't mean to jump the gun but it's a bit of a red flag when the emphasis of an app is that it's free but it's not convenient free. Seeing as you already have positive responses and not a bad website design and name, maybe you do have the marketing to make this product more popular but again I'm skeptical. Feature-wise there's just very little compelling act to download this and go through the 30 day process but your direction seems to go along the lines that it's so good that once you use it, you'll want to go through the hassle of getting the license and make it permanent but if not enough people download and generate that buzz, it's not going to work either.

note-taker:
Paul,

Thank you for your input and thoughts.  It seems in your view and also that of rjbull's that the 30 days switch to permanent use is a hassle that would seriously discourage people from downloading it... let us ponder over it a bit and then decide what to do...

The other point you raised about why only compared with Word, we've conducted serveral surveys with college students in the last few months, the first time, about 512 of survey takers, the second time, about 300 something, mostly in Virginia, about 80% of the answers to the survey question of "What software do you use to take notes with computer" is Word, hence, from business perspective, "attack" the weakest element first...

Don

note-taker:
Also, we seem to send a wrong message somewhere somehow on "when the emphasis of an app is that it's free", it's not our emphasis but rather an extra.

Paul Keith:
Yeah, it's an unfortunate part of the culture at least from a person who has tried several notetaking software point of view.

Nowadays if something is free it's not really seen as an extra. I don't know whether that rings true in the mainstream sense but people are so used to free in the internet nowadays that you can't really tweak the model of how people consume free software or if you do, the less hassle the better.

Word is what most people refer to because "notetaking" is a very niche cult. If MS didn't release OneNote few would even re-consider the idea that notetaking is a separate system of input because few really put in that much text notes to their work and even though I have no academic background, I think them not totally going against Word speaks to that volume that it's more of a "blind" standard than the top enemy to use for feature vs. feature comparison as far as impressing the circle.

note-taker:
I'd like to make a few comments here:
a) It seems rational to try out a piece of software in earnestness for a few times or better for a few days and then to discuss its merits or deficiency.
b) On Free or not.  Reasonably intelligent students who use computer to take notes would take some time to check out a few such software tools to see which one fits him/her better.
c) On competition, everything has competition and they are not usually a zero sum game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version