ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editing software - Any recommendations?

<< < (14/15) > >>

4wd:
You're telling me that you've been able to edit an mp4 file (standard avc+aac) in Vegas with both the audio and video working?-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, Vegas is what I use to make sure audio and video is in sync since some other editors can de-sync them and that's usually because they've used VBR audio.

And you can chop it up and save the segments without re-encoding (lossless)?
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I was addressing your comment of limited output formats and included too much quote.  Vegas' output formats are limited by the codecs available.  But it does do smart-rendering of video when the input is in the one of the formats is was designed to work with.  It's an NLE, you're trying to compare it with a simple video splicer.

And unless all your video edits are going to occur on a key frame, (for at least MPEG2 or MPEG4-ASP/AVC compression), there is no such thing as a lossless video editor.  At best it will smart-render, at worst it will render it all - but even then, (IIRC), as long as your not changing anything, good encoders will seek to minimise any recompression by recognising already compressed frames.

tslim:
Hi superboyac,

My experience in all those video editors and converters tells me, normally it is the "support of output formats" that actually impose limitation on them, not the inputs format. Let's say your system is able to play video format "A" (that means the required codec is already installed) and even if it is not listed among the supported input formats you can still attempt to load a format "A" video, just select "All files" type in the open file dialog, chances is the video file will be loaded and you can go on edit or convert it. i.e. forget about the file extension, a good video editing program shouldn't rely on that to determine actual video format.

The above is at least true for TMpegEnc and AVS programs that i have used before.

Jibz:
I'm with Carol on this one -- the programs whose only purpose is to support almost all video formats are having a hard enough time doing just that, I would rather software like Vegas focused on making editing as pleasant as possible :).

You can't really compare it with image formats, since most of those are fairly simple. There is no end to the crazy stuff these video container formats can contain -- just look at the fact that you need a program like MediaInfo to guess what a file contains and what you might need to be able to play it.

IainB:
Before investing any time in trying different editing software could you run MediaInfo over one of the files to see what it really is ?
-4wd (June 14, 2012, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just did this. Here's a screenshot of the MediaInfo window. Is that enough?

4wd:
Just did this. Here's a screenshot of the MediaInfo window. Is that enough?-IainB (June 15, 2012, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

MPEG4-AVC + AC-3, yet a different mix to ones I've normally seen.  Also, it's not true HD, it's what they call HDVw - the playback device knows to stretch the picture to fill the full 1920x1080 display.

BTW, I thought you were in NZ, which is PAL?

Those files should be at 25fps for maximum compatibility with existing equipment otherwise for playback on old DVDs/TVs you'll need to change the framerate - if that's never going to happen then it's not a problem but it does show that refurbished stock can come from anywhere.

As to editing programs, it really is a simple choice of what you would like to do and what you need to do it.

An NLE, (Vegas, Premiere, etc), will give you filters, transformations, transitions, effects, multiple output formats (including 3D anaglyph), multiple audio tracks, video overlay, etc, etc.

Or, if you just want to slice and dice, (as SB does), with no change in format, (ie. minimal recompression), then there a number of programs that can do it - VideoReDo TV Suite H.264, SolveigMM for example, both paid software.  There's also VirtualDub, AviDemux (free), the latest beta versions seem to handle AC-3, (can try it doing this, you'll need to set the output container to something else, try MP4).  There's probably more but these are the ones I know of off the top of my head.

There are programs that fall somewhere in between, (both AviDemux and VirtualDub), not the full-on facilities of a NLE but will do basic filtering and transformations.  AviDemux has most of the filters already inbuilt whereas VirtualDub you can just add them as you need them.

The only time audio is likely to get out of sync with video is if the file contains variable bitrate audio, which is non-standard, but that shouldn't be a worry for files from the camera.

So....what do you want to do with your video :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version