ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editing software - Any recommendations?

<< < (13/15) > >>

superboyac:
You will find that most of the common programs (Premeire, Power Director, Vegas) are extremely particular about what can be input into it.  Like to the point where it's ridiculous.  basically, if you're not pulling it straight off of the camera, it's a huge headache.
-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the point though -those three titles are very specific - they edit video from camera. That is what they are designed for and that is what they do best.

They were never designed to drag in YouTuibe clips or XviD files - and actually they are the better for it.
-Carol Haynes (June 14, 2012, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm sorry Carol, that doesn't seem to make sense to me.  How can they be better for it?  The program can stay exactly the same, just the formats you can pull in are different.  What's the difference between a format stored on a video camera and a format stored on a file?  Nothing needs to change, not even the buttons or interface of the program.

Let's say a program was able to process a mt2s file dragged into it.  OK.  Now, what if it also supported an mp4 file dragged into it?  What's the difference?  How can limiting it be better?  Would ACDSee be a better program if it only could open jpg files and not png files?

Carol Haynes:
I'm sorry Carol, that doesn't seem to make sense to me.  How can they be better for it?
-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because the programs are optimised to use high quality source material and are designed for a specific purpose.

I suppose they could add a whole pile of codecs they can load but the majority of their market don't want/need that support and it just adds bloat.

If you want to add lossy video sources you can convert it using something like VirtualDub or TMPGEnc and then import it. Premier and Vegas only seem to recode output when absolutely necessary so you shouldn't add further degradation.

4wd:
Well, I am a rank amateur, so maybe I should have referred to the .m2ts format, which is the file extension of the video files that are transferred from the camera to disk.    :tellme:
The software that I use and that came with the camera and handles the .m2ts video files is PMB (Picture Motion Browser).-IainB (June 14, 2012, 02:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Before investing any time in trying different editing software could you run MediaInfo over one of the files to see what it really is ?

Camera manufacturers have very weird interpretations of standards, ie. it should be MPEG2 Transport Stream but being HD it might be AVC + AAC within a M2TS container, (don't know why they can't put it into an MP4 container like normal people....but then, it is Sony).

4wd:
because these programs have very limited output formats, they will never be able to do a simple lossless cut or joining of video.  That means when you're ready to output, there's going to be re-encoding and all that taking place, which means further degradation of video, longer output procedure (what should take seconds will take several minutes or hours), and it's very likely the output will be a larger file than the original file, with less quality and audio sync issues.-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not true, (at least as far as Vegas), I've been able to output in whatever I like since v5, (if I had a VfW codec, it could handle it - and with ffdshow that's a lot of formats), and if Vegas didn't allow, then running it through a simple frameserver to a program that could added, at most, 2 minutes to the process.

superboyac:
because these programs have very limited output formats, they will never be able to do a simple lossless cut or joining of video.  That means when you're ready to output, there's going to be re-encoding and all that taking place, which means further degradation of video, longer output procedure (what should take seconds will take several minutes or hours), and it's very likely the output will be a larger file than the original file, with less quality and audio sync issues.-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not true, (at least as far as Vegas), I've been able to output in whatever I like since v5, (if I had a VfW codec, it could handle it - and with ffdshow that's a lot of formats), and if Vegas didn't allow, then running it through a simple frameserver to a program that could added, at most, 2 minutes to the process.
-4wd (June 14, 2012, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're telling me that you've been able to edit an mp4 file (standard avc+aac) in Vegas with both the audio and video working?  And you can chop it up and save the segments without re-encoding (lossless)?  xvid/divx avi?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version