ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editing software - Any recommendations?

<< < (12/15) > >>

4wd:
MPEG2 Transport Stream - Either VideoReDo, Womble or TMPGEnc will do frame accurate editing and, providing you save to an MPEG2 format (Program/Transport/Individual stream), lossless saving smart rendering, (only re-encode what's absolutely necessary).

AviDemux should also be able handle frame accurate/lossless cut/join but I find it more suited to MPEG4-ASP AVI editing and use VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 for all my DVB-T, (MPEG2TS), recordings and quick rough edit of my Sony Camcorder output, (MPEG2), before running it through Vegas.

tslim:
Just in case you may be interested too, for Video repairing tool, my latest finding is:
The greatest video repair tool up to date = KMPlayer + Fraps.
-tslim (June 13, 2012, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is this better than using KMPlayer's built-in video capture? It's probably a couple of years since I used this method and can't remember too well how it worked. I think it must have been okay, otherwise I wouldn't have used it.
-nudone (June 13, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, definitely!

My recent experience with a partially corrupted rmvb movie: if I capture it with KMPlayer's built-in function, in the resultant movie, its audio and video has gap (i.e. the audio track does not align correctly with the video track), but the funny thing is KMplayer can play the original rmvb movie without the mis-align problem. So, if I capture it with Fraps, I can avoid the mis-align problem.

I have tested a few time with other movie files (of various format), it seems that KMPlayer can't really output a well-aligned movie. i.e. Don't hope to use it as a video converter.

nudone:
Just in case you may be interested too, for Video repairing tool, my latest finding is:
The greatest video repair tool up to date = KMPlayer + Fraps.
-tslim (June 13, 2012, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is this better than using KMPlayer's built-in video capture? It's probably a couple of years since I used this method and can't remember too well how it worked. I think it must have been okay, otherwise I wouldn't have used it.
-nudone (June 13, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, definitely!

My recent experience with a partially corrupted rmvb movie: if I capture it with KMPlayer's built-in function, in the resultant movie, its audio and video has gap (i.e. the audio track does not align correctly with the video track), but the funny thing is KMplayer can play the original rmvb movie without the mis-align problem. So, if I capture it with Fraps, I can avoid the mis-align problem.

I have tested a few time with other movie files (of various format), it seems that KMPlayer can't really output a well-aligned movie. i.e. Don't hope to use it as a video converter.
-tslim (June 14, 2012, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for describing the problem. I'll definitely use the Fraps method next time.

superboyac:
IainB raises a good point.  After trying out dozens of programs, I've nailed the features I really want and it is lacking in MOST of the software out there:
1) Accept inputs from most formats and containers (avi, mp4, mkv, mt2s, etc.)
2) Be able to seek through (scrub?) the file easily without crashing the software

You will find that most of the common programs (Premeire, Power Director, Vegas) are extremely particular about what can be input into it.  Like to the point where it's ridiculous.  basically, if you're not pulling it straight off of the camera, it's a huge headache.  You will easily spend hours trying to figure out how to pull a normal web downloaded avi or mp4 into these programs.

And even when it does work, trying to navigate around the file with the seekbar is a pain and often will cause problems like crashes and memory issues.  So the explanation of that is usually "well, those are compressed files so it can't do it.  You need to use uncompressed video for smooth seeking." Hogwash!  That's a load of nonsense.  Firstly, uncompressed video is another pain in the ass, as it turns a 5 minute 10MB file into a gargantuan 2 GB affair.  Secondly, it's nonsense.  You're telling me we have the processing power to play Call of Duty 4, but we're going to struggle with editing a 1080p mp4 file?  Not true, i don't buy it for a second.

Another peeve of mine (even though I have a good solution for it) is lossless cutting and joining of video.  because these programs have very limited output formats, they will never be able to do a simple lossless cut or joining of video.  That means when you're ready to output, there's going to be re-encoding and all that taking place, which means further degradation of video, longer output procedure (what should take seconds will take several minutes or hours), and it's very likely the output will be a larger file than the original file, with less quality and audio sync issues.  Just a huge headache.

The solution to simple cutting/joing is SolveigMM.  It's a great piece of cheap software that does the job brilliantly.  Once in a while it will struggle with a particular format, but they keep getting better at it, and it's one of the few that is easy to use and actually works.  The other option is to turn to those funky videohelp tools like avidemux, virtualdub, etc. which tend to make a mountain out of a molehill, but at least they work.

That's a pretty good summary of my video editing experiences.

Carol Haynes:
You will find that most of the common programs (Premeire, Power Director, Vegas) are extremely particular about what can be input into it.  Like to the point where it's ridiculous.  basically, if you're not pulling it straight off of the camera, it's a huge headache.
-superboyac (June 14, 2012, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the point though -those three titles are very specific - they edit video from camera. That is what they are designed for and that is what they do best.

They were never designed to drag in YouTuibe clips or XviD files - and actually they are the better for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version