ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editing software - Any recommendations?

<< < (5/15) > >>

kartal:
There has been a break in the posting stream in this thread, so I expect we now are done with the zillion dollar programs, or what? Why must I come here for a free or low cost editor and be told that a $600 editor is what I need?

.. I am hoping I can find something that doesn't require a 2 month learning course to understand and hopefully it would also be free or at least cheap.
-p3lb0x (April 05, 2010, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Any suggestions?" -as he also were asking.
 :tellme:

-Curt (April 14, 2010, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can use Blender as well, it is a free cross platform software. It is originally a 3d animation program but has an integrated sequence-video editor

@Armando:

I think Vegas is way faster than Premiere. Also Adobe apps have turned into bloatware. To instal one Adobe app, you need to install some other crap too even if you unselect many other crap.

JavaJones:
There has been a break in the posting stream in this thread, so I expect we now are done with the zillion dollar programs, or what? Why must I come here for a free or low cost editor and be told that a $600 editor is what I need?
--- End quote ---

What about a $72 editor?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vegas-Movie-Studio-Platinum/dp/B001CPFWI2
Same root technology as Vegas Pro as far as I know, but made for the home market (like Photoshop Elements). The sad truth is this is one area where the free and open source options are sorely lacking.

- Oshyan

cmpm:
I'd choose Corel rather then Adobe at this point.
Less expense and I worked with it and produced without a six week course :).
It wasn't much but I edited and cut with just playing with it.
Same with photo software of that caliber, imo.

I have heard of some picking up Adobe's workings quite fast though.
It wasn't me...lol...

Armando:

.. I am hoping I can find something that doesn't require a 2 month learning course to understand and hopefully it would also be free or at least cheap.
-p3lb0x (April 05, 2010, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Any suggestions?" -as he also were asking.
 :tellme:

--- End quote ---

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd/compare

I see other prices than 600$.

@Armando:

I think Vegas is way faster than Premiere. Also Adobe apps have turned into bloatware. To instal one Adobe app, you need to install some other crap too even if you unselect many other crap.

-kartal (April 14, 2010, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's also what I said. Premiere is bloated and buggy. It has some strengths  though.

40hz:
I've worked a little bit with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum when I needed to quickly put together some training materials. It was easy to get your head around how it worked, and the results were quite impressive. Or at least they were to my client - which is all that mattered AFAIWC.

I got VMSP as part of the Sony Imagination Studio Suite.

Along with Vegas, the suite also gives you "home" versions of Acid, SoundForge, DVD Architect, and PhotoGo.

It runs about $150 plus change if you shop around. Lotta bang for the buck in that the suite costs about what you'd pay for any two of the packages that make it up.

I used Acid Studio to whip up some nice ambient and techno background music to go with the video and ran it all through Architect to get it on DVD. I didn't use PhotoGo since I didn't need an image sorter/tweaker for my project. But if you're going to be doing a lot of this stuff it could come in handy. I also didn't bother with SoundForge because I already have a pro-grade audio editor that I'm comfortable with. However, if you don't have a favorite audio editor, you'll find SoundForge is a very capable product.

I'm not a video pro by any stretch, but the one pro I do know (who works for ESPN) said he thought VMSP was a very capable product. He felt it was probably the best single package to start with if you're on the PC platform and new to video editing. (Which is why I bought it! ;D)

Plus, if you ever do need to move up to Vegas Pro, the experience you gained using the "starter version" will 'transfer' very nicely.

Luck! (And let us know what you finally select.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version