ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I swtich from w7 32 bit to w7 64 bit?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
They also seem to make memory modules in other places. For example:

http://www.micron.com/jobs/europe/uk/kilbride
http://www.micron.com/locations/china

Looking at the China info I'd guess more manufacturing will be moving there soon!

Having saic that Crucial modules are pretty good but Corsair make faster modules and OCZ is also a good manufacturer.

Innuendo:
I did have to buy a new wireless card, though because although my previous did have a Vista 64 bit driver, it was an unsigned kernel mode driver, which is a no-no in Windows 7 64 bit with no workaround to my knowledge (apparently it would have been allowed in Vista). I never did get the new one to work as good as the old one had in 32 bit and eventually decided to go the powerline networking route.-daddydave (April 05, 2010, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, do us a favor and tell us the brands of your old wireless card with the crummy driver & the new card that you couldn't get to work well so we'll all know to avoid those like the plague.

FWIW, I like to buy cheap but not noname memory. I am not convinced that paying twice for the same amount of memory is going to get me better performance than just buying twice as much cheap memory. I'm actually currently using 8GB of OCZ brand memory (it was recommended to me by colleagues and the price was right).
--- End quote ---

It's all about patience & catching sales. I was able to get my Corsair RAM for the same price the OCZ was going for & the Corsair had better timings.

Innuendo:
Having saic that Crucial modules are pretty good but Corsair make faster modules and OCZ is also a good manufacturer.-Carol Haynes link=topic=22317.msg200773#msg200773
--- End quote ---

OCZ is good if it will work with your motherboard...and you're lucky enough to not get defective modules. I didn't feel brave enough to try the lottery.

Also, the G.Skill RipJaws modules have been getting great user reviews.

Renegade:
Just from my own experience, I'd recommend checking your video card to see if it can handle a 64 bit OS reasonably. I've got a box (laptop) with a good NVidia card that cannot handle a second monitor -- there is a critical bug that's been there for years that NVidia hasn't fixed (they are aware of it). BSOD-type stuff - not fun.

Other than that hiccup, I've had no issues with 64-bit Windows. Everything has been seamless.

Darwin:
I had the above issue on my current notebook with an Ati Radeon graphics card and both Vista and Windows 64-bit, but a driver update has fixed it  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version