ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I swtich from w7 32 bit to w7 64 bit?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Innuendo:
I've got a box (laptop) with a good NVidia card that cannot handle a second monitor -- there is a critical bug that's been there for years that NVidia hasn't fixed (they are aware of it). BSOD-type stuff - not fun. -Renegade (April 05, 2010, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is because of bugs like this that made me, a loyal Nvidia fan, finally start looking for an Nvidia-free graphics card solution 5 or 6 years ago. What cinched the decision for me is that I had decided to give Dell a try that year & the XPS system I bought offered an ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition, but no beefy Nvidia option that was comparable.

Later when I heard about the hardware flaw in the Nvidia 8x00 series of cards that they refused to do anything about I knew I'd made the right decision. This latest Fermi debacle isn't luring me back, either.

(I'm not even going to mention how long it took Nvidia to get stable Vista drivers.)

daddydave:
Well, do us a favor and tell us the brands of your old wireless card with the crummy driver & the new card that you couldn't get to work well so we'll all know to avoid those like the plague.
-Innuendo (April 05, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess you'll be avoiding PCI wireless cards in Windows 7 64 bit altogether then (which is actually a good idea, see below). Linksys and Netgear don't seem to be in the 64-bit driver business as far as I can tell. The one that worked in Windows 7 64-bit was this one by Encore.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833180052

It worked well for a while, but keep in mind my computer and my wireless router are in diagonally opposite corners of a two story house and it was blocked by both the kids computer as well as walls and ceilings. This had been an occasional issue in the 32 bit world as well. Most of the time it worked well enough, then it stopped. Maybe one more neighbor added a wi-fi router and the interference pushed me over the edge.

Instead of wireless PCI cards, what I recommend for desktop or stationary computers and am using today is powerline networking. I got a refurbished Linksys powerline adapter kit model PLK300-RM, which I paid about  $92 shipped. The technology has gotten very reliable and inexpensive these days, and it appears as ethernet to the computer so you don't have to worry about drivers. Netgear makes them too.

For laptops, I have no idea.

JavaJones:
Odd, I have a PCI wireless card working just fine in one of my Win7 x64 systems...

- Oshyan

daddydave:
Odd, I have a PCI wireless card working just fine in one of my Win7 x64 systems...

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (April 07, 2010, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which one?

JavaJones:
I believe it's an Edimax: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041 but it shows up as Ralink RT61 in Windows Device Manager.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version