ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I swtich from w7 32 bit to w7 64 bit?

<< < (4/9) > >>

JavaJones:
For RAM upgrade, Crucial (good RAM brand) has a pretty good configurator doohicky that can recommend RAM upgrades for you:

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
For RAM upgrade, Crucial (good RAM brand) has a pretty good configurator doohicky that can recommend RAM upgrades for you:-JavaJones (April 04, 2010, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not only a great RAM brand, but the only manufacturer whose RAM modules are 100% made in the U.S.A.

Having said that...I just upgraded the RAM in two computers here & went with Corsair XMS3 because I caught the modules on sale for cheaper than any other brand yet with faster timings. (Side note: first time *ever* buying Corsair RAM, but I have been quite pleased with the whole experience thus far....pricing, packaging, build quality, and performance.)

daddydave:
As a happy 64 bit Windows 7 user, I would say that compatibility issues with 64 bit are microscopic compared to compatibility issues going to Vista / Windows 7.

I did have to buy a new wireless card, though because although my previous did have a Vista 64 bit driver, it was an unsigned kernel mode driver, which is a no-no in Windows 7 64 bit with no workaround to my knowledge (apparently it would have been allowed in Vista). I never did get the new one to work as good as the old one had in 32 bit and eventually decided to go the powerline networking route.

In some cases, you are better off running the 32 bit version of the app for plugin compatibility. The most famous example being any browser plus Flash plugin (there is no Adobe Flash 64 bit).

For me, the reason for going 64 bit was that I didn't want to be limited to 3GB of memory. Vista convinced me I needed more than that, even though they say Windows 7 manages memory a lot better. Most motherboards intended for 32 bit will max out at 4GB, so I think most people may as well get a new motherboard and memory if upgrading to 64 bit, otherwise what's the point of gaining access of only an additional 1GB of memory?

FWIW, I like to buy cheap but not noname memory. I am not convinced that paying twice for the same amount of memory is going to get me better performance than just buying twice as much cheap memory. I'm actually currently using 8GB of OCZ brand memory (it was recommended to me by colleagues and the price was right).

Darwin:
FWIW, I like to buy cheap but not noname memory.
-daddydave (April 05, 2010, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen! Having said that, I'm neither a gamer nor an overclocker.

Dormouse:
Crucial (good RAM brand)

Not only a great RAM brand, but the only manufacturer whose RAM modules are 100% made in the U.S.A.
-Innuendo (April 04, 2010, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

They do have plants all round the world. But the only manufacturer of RAM in the USA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version