topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: drag n drop file to open it with docked sofware etc  (Read 4183 times)

jooz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
drag n drop file to open it with docked sofware etc
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hi
perhaps i did not find de function, but apparently its not possible to drag n drop file on a docked app like a  normal shorcut, nor copy or transfert file by dropping them on on docked folder,
it will be perfect if it will work that way.
and i think , a very new way to fork with windows

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Re: drag n drop file to open it with docked sofware etc
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Hi
perhaps i did not find de function, but apparently its not possible to drag n drop file on a docked app like a  normal shorcut, nor copy or transfert file by dropping them on on docked folder,
it will be perfect if it will work that way.
and i think , a very new way to fork with windows

I am not sure how useful that would be as the "docked app" would need to accept file name(s) as command line parameter(s) and, in reality, not many do. That would be the only way to achieve a simulated "fork" in Windows - this is not Unix! Similarly copying/moving files to Dock Items that happen to be filing system Folders is not possible.

Mark

jooz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:54 AM »
for example the osx dock Work that way,  with app like photoshop , unarchiever....
Object dock work that way too

it could be a great new feature for next version of circle dock

you do certainly understand, i mean WORK, by writting "fork"

julien

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37 AM »
I have added the more useful part of what you've asked for. If you hold the CTRL key down whilst dragging one or more files and drop it/them on a Dock Item, that Item will be executed once (or more times) with the name of the file passed to it as a Command Line Parameter. This will only work for non-Folder targets and no attempt is made to check that the dropped file is of a type acceptable to the Dock Item or that the Dock Item processes Command Line Parameters.

Dock Items that are (disk-based) Folders currently do not accept dragged files when the CTRL key is held down.

Mark