ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Requests

<< < (3/9) > >>

Shades:
If you like (some) of the look and feel from XP in Win7, visit this link for ClassicShell, which I am using myself.-Shades (April 02, 2010, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since I'm in the UK and don't have access to W7 on my netbook can you please tell me if it passes this one simple test:

Does it work correctly with the Taskbar located on the sides of the Desktop as XP does?

Last time I tried it, it opened the menus from the bottom left no matter where the Taskbar was located which was extremely annoying.
-4wd (April 02, 2010, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems that this is fixed.

cmpm:
here's a couple of tweakers

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-taskbar-thumbnail-customizer-released

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/tweak-taskbar-button-thumbnail-sizes-with-w7-taskbar-tweaker

which should be in 8

and the upgrade price should be a LOT LESS

Innuendo:
Windows 7 never forces me to reboot. Windows Updates that require a reboot will tell me I need to reboot, but just have a nag popup I can "dismiss" for up to 4 hours at a time.-Deozaan (April 02, 2010, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's even a registry hack that goes all the way back to Windows XP which will turn off automatically rebooting altogether. A little icon will sit in your system tray reminding you that you need to reboot, but it will be up to you to do the rebooting yourself when you're ready.

My biggest complaint recently is the dismal file transfer speeds. It takes forever to copy/move files from one place to another! It shouldn't take 2 minutes to copy 50MB!
--- End quote ---

That's nothing a good file manager or TeraCopy won't fix.

Darwin:
I can confirm that the taskbar behaviour 4wd asked about works fine on my install (Win 7 64-bit). I tried it in every position (ie bottom, top, left and right of the desktop) and all menus opened where they were clicked.

As for the other comments - I've never had either Vista or Win7 reboot my computer after Windows Update. I do get pop ups warning me that I need to reboot, but that's it. If I am not around for the warnings, the power button on the start menu switches to "Install updates and shutdown". File transfers/copying speed is fine on my notebook (although I use DOpus 9 and TeraCopy, so perhaps I'm simply not seeing the behaviour).

NB I just tried using two instances of Windows Explorer with TeraCopy disabled and moved a 50MB file from E:\ to my desktop (on C:\) in less than a second.

cranioscopical:
I tried it in every position (ie bottom, top, left and right of the desktop) and all menus opened where they were clicked.-Darwin (April 02, 2010, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

How fortunate that you have such long arms!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version