topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: auto email a list of folder contents - is there a util?  (Read 4685 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
auto email a list of folder contents - is there a util?
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:30 AM »
(i've got a sneaky feeling there must be a thread on the forum discussing this kind of thing already - but i can't find anything in the search.)

problem: i'm trying to keep track of a couple of computers (maybe more) that are miles apart. they have similar content on them - like video and music files but i quickly lose track of what is where; whether things are duplicated, deleted, unique, etc.

as they are media files i don't want to try and synchronise things using something like DropBox (video is way too big). so, i'd just like a list of the folder contents on each machine emailed to me in a quick and easy fashion...

e.g.
a util scans the folder each time the machine boots up and then creates a list in a txt file of the folder(s) contents. the list is then automatically emailed to me so i can check it against lists made from other machines using the same method.

or, the list is made and emailed whenever i run the util (so it doesn't have to do it each boot-up).

i'm sure there will be a util that does this - or maybe two that i can run together. maybe autohotkey is required but i'd like to know if there are any solutions currently available. or if there's a better way of what i'm trying to do - maybe DropBox can be used to save the lists in one place, therefore email is not required.

thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:33 AM by nudone »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: auto email a list of folder contents - is there a util?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Honestly, this wouldn't take much at all using a AHK script along with Blat.  Let me know if can't get it working and I'll cobble it together for you.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50 AM »
thank you very much for the offer, skwire. i've found something that should do the job: FileList found here (bottom of page): http://www.jam-softw...freeware/index.shtml

i've had a quick test with it and it appears to work - i think that maybe i'll just have it output the list to a DropBox folder as then i don't require any extra utils.

i will, of course, take up your offer of an autohotkey script if this batch file util doesn't work as i hope it will.

(i will also have to play about with Blat as that still looks useful.)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15 AM »
back again. just wanted to say that i think you've got an excellent list of progams on your Skwire Empire site; i'm going to give several a try later.

i found Zero Zipper of immediate interest. if that could be automated a little bit i'd find that more handy than the FileList method above. using the zero sized files contained in the zip(s), i could then do a comparison against the extracted contents using something like BeyondCompare, i.e. a zip made on one machine could be compared against a zip made on another machine - maybe i can do the same with the spreadsheets (never tried comparing such things).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:38 AM »
i found Zero Zipper of immediate interest. if that could be automated a little bit i'd find that more handy than the FileList method above. using the zero sized files contained in the zip(s), i could then do a comparison against the extracted contents using something like BeyondCompare

Honestly, if you plan on using Beyond Compare, you may as well just compare simple text file listings.  No messing around with zip files and their extracted contents.  You know?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14 PM »
a zip made on one machine could be compared against a zip made on another machine.

Would this be better done with one of the utilities that make CRC or MD5 checksums?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Honestly, if you plan on using Beyond Compare, you may as well just compare simple text file listings.  No messing around with zip files and their extracted contents.  You know?
true. i need to give things a try before asking for whimsical modifications of things like Zero Zipper. (i'm away from my main pc at the moment so can't try things until monday.) i wasn't thinking clearly about what i could do with BeyondCompare - with txt file comparisons.

Would this be better done with one of the utilities that make CRC or MD5 checksums?
that isn't really appropriate in my case. i'm looking for basic file name changes so i can just see which media files are on which computers (and which media files are missing from which computers).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13 PM »

For what it's worth, I've written an SFV app that I've never released.

sfv_ninja_10.jpgauto email a list of folder contents - is there a util?