ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How I'd Hack Your Weak Passwords

<< < (2/6) > >>

wraith808:
Paypal actually does have checks and balances (which I've run afoul of several times), but point taken, even though I never activate online access to most of those other services...

mouser:
paypal has a wonderful and cheap hardware security key that generates one-time use pins that can be required for login.  i wish my bank and credit card account was so secure.

wraith808:
And an (over?) zealous fraud department that calls me all the time  :huh:

app103:
paypal has a wonderful and cheap hardware security key that generates one-time use pins that can be required for login.  i wish my bank and credit card account was so secure.

-mouser (April 01, 2010, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most people don't know about that hardware key.

AOL has a similar key that can protect your account and email, if you use their service. The key is required on accounts for all AOL employees (and they get it for free), and optional for their customers, who get charged for each one. And each screen name needs it's own key, so to fully protect an account containing 7 screen names, it would cost you $140 initially for setup and the hardware devices, and $1.95/month to continue using it. It's not something they advertised all that much, and if you want it you'd have to already know it exists through some other means of finding out about it (like reading this post) and then contacting their customer service and asking how to get one. (this is why adoption by their users has been considered a failure...nobody knows it's available)

Carol Haynes:
My business bank account demands you login as normal and then to access account info you have to use a device that that looks like a calculator which you have to insert your debit card, use your card pin in the device and it creates a unique 8 digit code for that session. Very effective - and even puts me off using online banking because it is so convoluted!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version