topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MSI Are Idiots - April Fool Gone Wrong  (Read 2899 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MSI Are Idiots - April Fool Gone Wrong
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:16 PM »
OK, If you read this weeks version of my Tech News - you will notice Story #3 - Which quotes MSI telling customers to RTFM...seems it was a badly timed April Fool's Joke...IMHO...I think thats total BS...but whatever...decide for yourself

Original E-Mail

The MSI-forum and MSI-support team are fed-up with explaining you what can be found in the manual.
I mean, come on, how hard is it to read a manual?

They are printed on paper so you see them.

We have been talking to MSI for a couple of years and came up with a solution.
It has been implemented on a few boards for some time and with big success.
It had various names, like CoreCenter (1st gathering tool) upto DrMOS (fully automatic)

Some of you noticed because Windows wanted you to install a driver, but you couldn’t find the manufacturer.
On AMD systems this was called the Away-driver.

What you didn’t know is this, this driver activates the RTFM-chip. (Re-Turn inFormation to Manufacturer chip)
It means it can detect if you read a manual as well stores the parameters you have set in the BIOS.
As soon as you start Windows we are informed about your settings and manual readings.

As we have been monitoring peoples behavior for some time and combined those with the RMA information from returned boards.
At the same time monitoring questions on the forum and matched the IP’s.
We have made a discovery.

A lot of RMA is unneeded and unwanted, many happens due to user mistakes, numbers show that 90% of the RMA is OC people killing boards and
newbies connecting the wrong connectors or insert parts that should not be inserted.
Or simply forget to remove standoffs or CPU-power.
MSI plans on tackles those numbers, and the RTFM-chip will give a readout of what you have done when it did post or attempted to post!

Checking on you isn’t new, Homeland-security done this ever you installed XP-SP3 or above, but their info in encrypted so useless to MSI.
So MSI decided to ban people from support, RMA and the forum who has done the damage themselves or didn’t read the manual the first of next month.
We know who you are, and we have gathered enough information via our RTFM-chip.

The only question is, should MSI continue to do this? As some information is real bad.
Will this hurt you relation with MSI products?

Please let us know, as we have to talk to MSI management the first of next month and make them decide what to do with the information.

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck “Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email.” in your profile.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://forum-en.msi....x.php?topic=136806.0

Regards,
The MSI HQ User to User Forum Team.

E-Mail Follow-up:

Hi there,

We are sorry people took this for prank for serious.

Nobody seem to have wondered what RTFM really means.
If you put the term in Google, you will find it is telling you to read the manual.

Just think, how would a chip check if you read manuals?
We thought of this prank after answering the many posts where people ask the obvious that is already in the manual.

But we learned a valuable lesson, no more April-fools jokes from the forum, a 10 year old thing just died.

Sorry that you took it for real and got mad.

Now, even if this _WAS_ a real April Fool's day joke...for a start...it was 1 week early, and secondly, their follow up is beyond childish!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MSI Are Idiots - April Fool Gone Wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Rule #1: You don't joke with people about Tech Support.

Rule #2: You don't joke with people about Tech Support.

-----------

I strongly suspect some employee was having a very bad day and lost it big time.  

Nice story they came up with to explain what it was "really" all about.

'Scuze me for being so cynical, but nobody in support that has a quarter gram of brains would ever dream of pulling a stunt like that, hence my skepticism about the "official" explaination

Just my tuppence.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:42 PM by 40hz »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Agreed 40hz, they obviously had a mishap of some-sort.

Maybe a disgruntled employee or something

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Rule #1: You don't joke with people about Tech Support.

Rule #2: You don't joke with people about Tech Support.

Rule #3: Friends don't let friends buy MSI products.

:D